Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General Practice
Experience:  Years of experience with general surgery and urgent care
18722459

I have had three urinalysis tests that have all come back

Customer Question

I have had three urinalysis tests that have all come back with +1 or +2 WBC count and one culture that came back neg for anything. I have had frequent urination problems and some pelvic discomfort but no blood in the urine ever.
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: Good
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have had frequent urination problems for a long time but it has gotten worse recently. I also have had somewhat abnormal periods as I went from no birth control to the pill and now a new one in the last year or so.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 month ago.

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Have you had any studies to check for a spastic/overactive bladder?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Dr. Chip,No I have no had any studies or scans yet. I just went to a primary care doctor recently about this and she did a basic pelvic exam, and urinalysis/culture. Results came back ok except for high WBC and no bacteria or yeast present in culture. She decided to prescribe antibiotics even though no bacteria present and said if that doesn't help, to follow up.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 month ago.

And did you take the antibiotics and, if so, did they help?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have not started the course yet. Before I take them I was just wanting another opinion on whether it makes sense to take such a powerful antibiotic (ciprofloxacin) for something that may not be bacteria related and what is the likelihood that it is something much more serious instead?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 month ago.

I understand

With your symptoms and the positive WBC's in the urinalysis, despite the negative culture, I would go ahead and give you the Cipro so see if that relieved the symptoms

If it didn't then I'd evaluate you for an overactive bladder. That isn't really a serious thing and it can be treated with medications like Detrol or Enalblex

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello,If either of those is the case I would be relieved but I am more concerned that something like this may be caused by an inflammatory disorder such as interstitial cystitis or even bladder or other cancer. Is this a concern based on my symptoms? I listed them below:Frequent urination - usually quite a bit of urine but peeing several times a day and night
Not painful to urinate but some pain occasionally in pelvic region or even vaginal burning sensation
Painful intercourse at times
No blood in urine at any point
Urine ok except cloudy and +2 WBC
Recent pap-smear NEG
Two recent pelvic exams - OKSorry for so many questions, I am just worried and my PCP doesn't communicate well. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 month ago.

No problem

No, definitely not something like bladder cancer or kidney cancer

And not likely interstitial cystitis

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Dr. Chip,I have been on antibiotics for several days now and noticed a few days that I had to pee less (I also cut out my morning coffee and cut back on soda thinking this may be partly due to caffeine or sugar) but this morning all I had was water and a banana and I am back to feeling urgency and some burning as well. I am not sure what else could be going on and whether I need to get a referral for a urologist now.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 month ago.

Hi

What antibiotics are you on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ciprofloaxcin.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 month ago.

Has your doctor had any comments about this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. The doctor didn't even call me to discuss my results in the first place or follow up to see how I am doing. A technician spoke to me only. I tried to ask for her to call and she hasn't so I am at a loss.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 month ago.

I understand

First off I don't think this is anything serious like interstitial cystitis but it may be an overactive bladder

Talk to your doctor and at this point I would refer you to a Urologist to test for that