Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

HOW OFTEN DO MEN OVER 50 CHECK THEIR PROSTATE AFTER THEIR…

Customer Question
HOW OFTEN DO MEN...

HOW OFTEN DO MEN OVER 50 CHECK THEIR PROSTATE AFTER THEIR 1ST TEST

Doctor's Assistant: Is the condition chronic, or acute?

NO PROBLEMS AT ALL

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Urology
9/7/2017
Urologist: Dr. Scott, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr. Scott, Doctor

Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Did you have a high PSA? or abnormal findings on exam?

no findings , test were done when i was 48,now I'm 53

Do you remember you PSA?

waiting for your reply via internet

Men whose initial PSA level is greater than or equal to 2.5 ng/mL should undergo annual testing; men with a lower initial level can be tested every two years.

We suggest not performing digital rectal examination (DRE) for prostate cancer screening either alone or in combination with prostate-specific antigen (PSA) screening. Although DRE has long been used to diagnose prostate cancer, no controlled studies have shown a reduction in the morbidity or mortality of prostate cancer when detected by DRE at any age.

There are inherent limitations to the DRE. It can detect palpable abnormalities (eg, nodules, asymmetry, or induration) in the posterior and lateral aspects of the prostate gland where the majority of cancers arise; however, other areas of the prostate where cancer occurs are not reachable by a finger examination. Furthermore, the majority of cancers detected by digital examination alone are clinically or pathologically advanced.

PSA increases more rapidly in men with prostate cancer than in healthy men. The Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging (BLSA) found that men with a PSA rate of change (PSA velocity) greater than 0.75 ng/mL/year were at increased risk of being diagnosed with prostate cancer

So the recommendation for you is to get a repeat PSA unless you are high-risk of developing prostate cancer (eg, black men and men with a first-degree relative with prostate cancer diagnosed before age 65) then you should have it done yearly.

Please send 5 stars!

I hope this helps!
Let me know if you have any additional questions.
We only get credit for positive feedback on customers we help.
Please take a moment to rate my services.
You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

i had to step out for bait I'm back.
step out for a bit . I'm back

no worries. Do you have any questions about the above?

If not, please send 5 stars.

Please close out this question by sending 5 stars

I hope this helps!

Here is a link to help you rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl