Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Have been seeing urologists for 25 years to treat

Customer Question
Have been seeing urologists...

Have been seeing urologists for 25 years to treat prostatitis and BPH. Had a kidney stone in 2014 with gross hematuria. December 2016 blood returned after long car trip and immediately went to Urologist who did CT Scans, blood work and cystoscopy along with antibiotic treatments (ceftin, doxy and Bactrim; I'm still on the Bactrim). Also was put on dutasteride. Bleeding subsided but still happened once every few weeks, stopped for a couple of months and returned recently when I started reducing the Bactrim dose as directed by doc. Now still see blood every few days and when I have a bowel movement (small amt). Should I try a new urologist? Also had a PSA test in the past month which was slightly lower than last year's 2.6, Just obsessing over this as I have been for the past 9 months.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the condition chronic, or acute?

Chronic

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. I stopped alcohol and caffeine back in January also

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Urology
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/7/2017
Urologist: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist replied 9 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Your bleeding may be coming from defect in tiny blood vessel abnormality around the prostate or kidney. You need MR angiography of both of these for the evaluation. You may discuss this with your urologist and may consider second opinion too.

A prostatitis would also need following, if not done;

1) Culture of prostate fluid after prostate massage expressed from penis.

2) A urine culture

3) Semen culture

The culture tests not only confirms the infection and causative organisms but also tells about the most efficacious antibiotic to treat it.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist