Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have the following symptoms: Itching/burning in urethra of…

Hello,I have the following symptoms: Itching/burning...
Hello,I have the following symptoms:
Itching/burning in urethra of my penis and itchy/discomfort in my anus area as well. So far I have no rash on penis and anus.I went to the doctor mid-august for itchy urethra at first. The doctors test my urine for UTI, results came negative and send a urine sample to the lab for chlamydia, gonorrhea culture. So he put my on Doxycycline and Cipro for 10 days. Then the test went back negative for chlamydia, gonorrhea.I completed the course of antibiotics and still have some symptoms of the itchy urethra and started to have the anal itch. So I went back to the doctor and ask him full STD’s test. HSV1, HSV2, HIV and syphilis all came back negative.So I started to look into my soap and laundry detergent. I change all of them to get milder wash soap (like Dove bar soap and barely use only warm water on penis) and non-fragrance laundry detergent.
Felt a bit better, but the itching are still there.I drink about 2.5 to 3 liters of water a day and 1 cup of green tea a day. I can go pee about 10 times a day depending on my liquid intakes. I drink a bit of alcohol on the weekend and I don’t smoke. I work out 2/3 times a week and eat pretty healthy.Could it be a yeast inside the urethra? Or maybe a prostate issue?Thanks in advance for your help!Regards,
GH
8/30/2017
Urodoc
Urodoc, Doctor

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.

Well as you describe, there may be possibility of Neurodermatitis.

Neurodermatitis is a condition where the nerves in any area of the body become hypersensitive and fire under normal conditions to produce a sensation of itching. As in, the more one scratches the more the area itches and so on.

Other possible causes may include Dryness, pruritus ani (anal itch) also caused by candida albicans (yeast) due to the Doxycycline.

Now I would recommend some self care measures like
Do cool water sitz bath with betadine solution twice a day for 5-10 minutes.
And afterwards,apply OTC 1% hydrocortisone cream twice a day.

Clean the area with DIAL soap and use OTC Abzorb powder afterwards.
You should avoid frequent washing.
Wear loose fitted cotton clothes to prevent friction.
Take OTC Motrin and Claritin for few days.
Start a probiotic supplement that balances yeast and bacteria with just one capsule per day.

Sarna sensitive lotion can be used 2-3 times a day to give further relief from itching.

Avoid scratching the affected areas as much as possible. This is most important. Whenever it is not bearable soak a towel in ice cold water and keep it on the affected areas or apply the Sarna sensitive lotion.

Lastly keep the affected area as well moisturized as possible with a moisturizer of your choice.

See your dermatologist again for further evaluation and management.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s request to avoid poor/bad rating.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

Ok Dr I will try all these remedies!
Do you think I need to apply hydrocortisone on my penis as well? in the urethra?
Dont you think it could be related to any bacteria in the urethra?
Also can I still practice sexual intercourse?

Thanks for the follow-up.

You should apply hydrocortisone only on penis and around anus.

Chances of any bacterial infection are very less likely.

You should abstain from sexual activity for a while and try such self care measures for a week.

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars and avoid poor/bad rating.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

Urodoc
Urodoc, Doctor