Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

About two weeks ago I woke up one morning with severe pain

in my right testicle so...
About two weeks ago I woke up one morning with severe pain in my right testicle so I went to an urgent care and was prescribed 600mg of Ibuprofen and Bactrim DS twice a day for 10 days. The pain and swelling went away after a few days and I returned to normal. On the 9th day I missed one dosage of the Bactrim and the next dau the pain and swelling came back. My doctor prescribed me the bactrim again for 10 days because it seemed to help at first. When i had the testicular pain i originally received an ultra sound and a urine culture that came back negative for an STI. Last spring I had chlamydia and took azitrhomycin and the symptoms went away for a while but then a month later came back. I originally thought it was from a new encounter so I went to the doctor again and took the azithromycin again and the symptoms went away for a month and came back again. I knew it wasn't from another encounter this time because I didn't have sex during that time period. I then took the doxycycline and the chlamydia went away completely and came back negative in my urine culture. I am unsure what to do because i have had so many problems up to this point and just want to get everything resolved.
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: no recent injuries but the pain is gone right now its just very swollen still
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have a hypoactive thyroid condition and take 90mg of armor thyroid
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/23/2017
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board certified internist

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

What you need to do is to see a urologist.

You might have a problem in the prostate, the bladder, or the testicle itself.

Since your symptoms have now resolved, OK>

Safe sex is a must, mandatory.

Urologist prostate exam mandatory [it can send pain to the testicle], and maybe a cystoscopy [scope of the bladder.

OK, let me know if you have further questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. [This must be done manually at the top of the page]. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed

DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board certified internist
what are other symptoms of a problem with the prostate? If it was that do you think that the pain would go away because of the bactrim ds?

Yes chronic prostatitis can have

no symptoms

pain in the testicle

urinary pain

erection difficulty

pain in the penis

all of these, or none.

If infectious, it would go away with bactrim, even if not infectious in many cases.

, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. [This must be done manually at the top of the page]. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed

I was thinking that it was more likely epididymitis because only one side is swollen and the testicle was just very swollen, do you think that could be more likely?

It should have been treated, but that is still possible with resistent bugs.

Urologist.

Stop trying to figure it out yourself and go to a specialist.

You have had enough random antibiotic use.

Any further treatment should be based on urology diagnosis.

okay thank you

anytime

any questions

find me as needed by request.

DrRussMd
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board certified internist