Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

I had a cytology for urinary pain. These are my

Hi. I had a cytology...
Hi. I had a cytology for urinary pain. These are my results...what does it mean? Negative for High grade urothelial cells
But some squamous cells are present.I meet with my urologist next week. I assume it's not too serious.
8/2/2017

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Could you please tell more about your urinary pain? Since when is it?

Was a urine culture negative?

Did your doctor do a bladder scope exam (cystoscopy)?

Just burning in the urethra. My gynecologist thinks it's hormonal. No bacteria present
Sorry the test results were negative for high grade carcinoma
Squamous and urothial cells trace
Negative ultrasound and cytoscopy
Foci of neutrophils present.

This cytology is considered normal.

Squamous cell presence does not indicate any problem.

Negative for High grade urothelial cells also means normal cytology.

So no problem here.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Foci of neutrophils indicate mild inflammation of urethra or bladder.

Nothing significant.

It is privilege assisting you.

Thank you. What are neutrophils? Can this burning be hormonal? It only happens before my menstrual cycle and then goes away. I was told it could be hormonal since I am almost 47. My urologist said I have no signs of something called interstitial cystitis? Not certain what that is though.

You are most welcome.

Neutrophils are cells which appears in tissue whenever there is infection or inflammation.

Since the burning is cycle related, it is highly likely to be hormonal; especially when interstitial cystitis is also ruled out. It is non infective inflammation of bladder.

Thank you again.

You are most welcome.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist