Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

What causes crystals in urine. She has prescribed Keflex. No…

Customer Question
What causes crystals in...

What causes crystals in urine

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes she has prescribed Keflex

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No I', 68 and I've had a couple of UTIs this past year

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Urology
7/29/2017
Urologist: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist replied 8 months ago

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Crystal in urine can be caused by multiple reasons as following;

1) Decreased intake of liquids.

2) High parathyroid hormones.

3) Diet with increased consumption of oxalates.

4) Chronic kidney disease

5) Polycystic kidney.

6) Medications.

7) Increased salt intake.

Apart from treating the cause, the best treatment is to drink about 2 liters of water per day which eliminates the crystals in majority of the cases.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist