Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Y., I had surgery for a prolapsed bladder Sept. 2016. Since

Customer Question

Dear Dr. Y.,
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I had surgery for a prolapsed bladder Sept. 2016. Since then I have had 7 UTI's and have not been able to urinate properly since then. I have never had any uti's before this and I am 68yrs old. My doctor said that he thought doing another surgery to correct my problem urinating was what we should do so June 22, 2017 I had another surgery. I was sent home with a catheter and told to come to the office the next day. (Friday) Went in to have the catheter removed and the nurse practitioner removed it and filled my bladder up with fluid and I was told to see if I could urinate, I walked around for about an hour and was not able to urinate so she told me I would need another catheter...when she inserted the catheter it sorta hurt but she said I would be ok so I went home...was not able to sit normally and laying was the best position. I went to the ER the next day and they said that I was so swollen that taking the catheter out would not be good and to go to office on Monday which I did. another nurse practitioner to this one out and filled my bladder up and I was told to try and urinate, told her didn't really urinate but that it just ran out of me, she said she thought I would be find. Only I wasn't and called the office late afternoon and told her I was not able to urinate, it was just a dribble and I was getting more and more pressure in my bladder. She told me to go to ER and have them insert another catheter and that I needed to see my doctor and that wouldn't be until Thursday, June 29th. Saw doctor on the 29th, he removed catheter, filled my bladder up with fluid and asked me to see if I could empty my, told him it felt like I did a little and that most of it just ran out of me. My doctor told me that he felt things would work out now and I left. Things didn't work out well and in a week I was back because it felt like I had another UTI and they took a urine sample, results was that I had blood in my urine and white cells. The doctor gave me a antibiotic called Ciprofloxacn 500mg twice a day. I was on the meds for about 7 days and the office called and said that I was taking the wrong meds and that I needed to take another antibiotic called penicillin 750 mg a day because the results of my urine had come in and I have E
JA: Is the condition chronic, or acute?
Customer: E Coil UTI. I don't know if is chronic or acute. I have been on the penicillin for 3 days and still don't feel good. very tired and no energy to do much.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: like what
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

have you finished the course of the antibiotics?

you may have to give it more time for the antibitoics to kill the e coli bacteria in your urine

are you making sure to drink more fluids?

you still have the catheter in place? your prostate gland must be large to block urine coming out of your bladder.