Ross
Ross, Urologist
Experience:  urologist
99040843

Second opinion] I am a 44 year old male, and I suffer from

Customer Question

Second opinion] Hello,I am a 44 year old male, and I suffer from paruesis (shy bladder). I go through phases of severity. Sometimes I have it under control, and sometimes it gets really bad (usually prompted by a travel experience). I am otherwise healthy, and I've had a urology exam.I am getting help from a therapist, and have made a lot of progress, but sometimes have significant setbacks I need to build back up from.One thing I've looked into is self catherization. I had a urologist show me how. I did it once with the urologist and have not done it since (been about 2 years), as it was very uncomfortable/painful for a couple of days. However, I'm still thinking it might be a good option for me in times of struggle (i.e. long plane rides/road trips). So, my question is, is it okay to self-cath infrequently (maybe 10-20 times per year)? What's a worst scenario, holding in my urine for extended times (sometimes over 10 hours, which I have been able to do without much physical pain), or the process of self cath? My thought is that if I know I have self-cath as an option, it may reduce my anxiety.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Ross replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am a urologist. First I would ask if you have been tried on Flomax great for bashful bladders. Second ISC is best if done more regular , It is better to self cath if you cant voids but try the medicine first. Also sit to void the studies at John's Hopkins shows we actually do better. Anything else

Expert:  Ross replied 3 months ago.

Use the 14 f Coloplast caths if you can easiestt, by the way I have cathed for 30 years it getss to be like riding as bike . It gives you freedom so you arnt always looking for a restroom

Expert:  Ross replied 3 months ago.

key to drink water flush it out during period you are cathing. If that helps please rate.