Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

Second opinion] I am a 44 year old male, and I suffer from

Customer Question
Second opinion] Hello,I am a...
Second opinion] Hello,I am a 44 year old male, and I suffer from paruesis (shy bladder). I go through phases of severity. Sometimes I have it under control, and sometimes it gets really bad (usually prompted by a travel experience). I am otherwise healthy, and I've had a urology exam.I am getting help from a therapist, and have made a lot of progress, but sometimes have significant setbacks I need to build back up from.One thing I've looked into is self catherization. I had a urologist show me how. I did it once with the urologist and have not done it since (been about 2 years), as it was very uncomfortable/painful for a couple of days. However, I'm still thinking it might be a good option for me in times of struggle (i.e. long plane rides/road trips). So, my question is, is it okay to self-cath infrequently (maybe 10-20 times per year)? What's a worst scenario, holding in my urine for extended times (sometimes over 10 hours, which I have been able to do without much physical pain), or the process of self cath? My thought is that if I know I have self-cath as an option, it may reduce my anxiety.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Urology
7/15/2017
Urologist: Ross, Urologist replied 5 months ago
Ross
Ross, Urologist

Hello my name is***** am a urologist. First I would ask if you have been tried on Flomax great for bashful bladders. Second ISC is best if done more regular , It is better to self cath if you cant voids but try the medicine first. Also sit to void the studies at John's Hopkins shows we actually do better. Anything else

Use the 14 f Coloplast caths if you can easiestt, by the way I have cathed for 30 years it getss to be like riding as bike . It gives you freedom so you arnt always looking for a restroom

key to drink water flush it out during period you are cathing. If that helps please rate.

Ross
Ross
Ross, Urologist