Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

I am a 44 year old male, and I suffer from paruesis (shy

Hello, I am a 44 year...
I am a 44 year old male, and I suffer from paruesis (shy bladder). I go through phases of severity. Sometimes I have it under control, and sometimes it gets really bad (usually prompted by a travel experience). I am otherwise healthy, and I've had a urology exam.
I am getting help from a therapist, and have made a lot of progress, but sometimes have significant setbacks I need to build back up from.
One thing I've looked into is self catherization. I had a urologist show me how. I did it once with the urologist and have not done it since (been about 2 years), as it was very uncomfortable/painful for a couple of days. However, I'm still thinking it might be a good option for me in times of struggle (i.e. long plane rides/road trips).So, my question is, is it okay to self-cath infrequently (maybe 10-20 times per year)? What's a worst scenario, holding in my urine for extended times (sometimes over 10 hours, which I have been able to do without much physical pain), or the process of self cath? My thought is that if I know I have self-cath as an option, it may reduce my anxiety.
7/15/2017
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board certified internist

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

The potential problems with self cathing are infection, and trauma.

Infection is a big potentially problem, and the more self cathing, the more possible and probably it becomes.

It would be better to go on a crash course of therapy, get on an SSRI, etc. than to have to self cath, speaking from the standpoint of infection.

Other than that it is feasible, but would not be recommended.

Holding your urine for 10 hours is not good, but is ok in the short term, as long as it does not go on indefinitely.

You should have, and I assume you have had, an anatomical work up, including ultrasound of the bladder and kidneys.

OK

Let me know if you have more questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.

Is it okay as an emergency out, meaning I'm in a bad phycological state and I can't urinate, buts its been a really long time?
Also, is your experience that Shy Bladder is 100% phycological, and not a physical problem? I'm assuming that's the case, as I'll go for long stretches when I'm fine (especially at home and it places I'm very comfortable in).

Yes, with long stretches of normalcy it is likely to be psychological, but that is not totally separate from the physical. Anxiety can be promoted by thyroid disease, magnesium deficiency and other problems, so you need a complete medical work up. Hopefully, the urologist did urodynamic studies to make sure everything actually works fine.

DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board certified internist
DrRussMd
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board certified internist