How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General Practice
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 39921
Experience:  Years of experience with general surgery and urgent care
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is weird, but what the. I have pain in my urethra Not

This answer was rated:

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: OK. This is weird, but what the hell.
JA: Any pain or burning sensation while urinating? What color is your urine?
Customer: I have pain in my urethra Not while urinating. Only happens in certain positions. In bed. Getting up from a chair. Sharp movements left or right. It doesn't hurt much, but it's annoying. I checked for STDs and was negative.
JA: Is the condition chronic, or acute?
Customer: Its been ongoing for about 3 weeks now. So it started to go away. Then I had oral sex the other night. And it started to flare up again.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I got tested for Mycoplasm...negative also.

Hello I'm Dr Chip

I assume you're male?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I am currently in Greece and can't do this over the phone.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm on an Island without a proper hospital or I've come to the Internet for help with this issue.

The phone call offer wasn't from me and you don't have to accept it

Did you have a urinalysis and a prostate check?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did a urine test and there was nothing out of range.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm a 36 year old male. I have not got my prostate checked in 3 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I did the urinalysis, I tested positive for Chlamydia. I took 1,000 MG dose of Zitmycin or whatever. Should have cleared it up.


In that case it probably isn't a prostate infection here and basically you're in the clear.

Most likely this is just a little urethral inflammation from no specific infection and nothing to worry about

And the azithromycin would have cleared the Chlamydia had you had it

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went back to the clinic after still feeling pain in my urthera. The Doc gave me a shot of Recofen and 5 days of Zitomycin again. I think a total of 1250 mg. That was about 2 weeks ago. But the pain in the urethra is still there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 2nd time around the did a swab test for Mycoplasm. It was extremely painful. But it came back negative also.

Then you were totally covered for Chlamydia and gonorrhea as well as the mycoplasma

So it's just a lingering urethral inflammation that will clear soon

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pain started to fade. But after having Oral sex the other night, the pain came back as bad as it was 2 weeks ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the remedy for a urethral inflammation? Is there something natural I could do? Epsom Salt Bath? Coconut Oil? Manuka Honey?

The better option would be over the counter 1% hydrocortisone cream

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
rub that inside the tip of my urethra? Is there a timeline for how long these can linger?

Gently with a Q tip

And this can linger for up to a month

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That doesn't sound good. I've also had pretty bad back pain the past few weeks. Could they be related? Sorry for the all the questions, but it's 330 AM in Greece and I'm relieved to be talking to a US Doctor on the Internet somehow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If there was a small tear in my urethra, would I be able to see it?

This isn't a urethral tear--I'm sure of that

But the back pain would only be related if you had a prostate infection

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm looking at my urinalysis off of my DirectLabs test. I see LEUKOCYTE ESTERASE 2+ ABNORMAL NEGATIVE 01
WBC 20-40 ABNORMAL < OR = 5 /HPF 01
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The test was on 5/19
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At the time of the test I had Chlamydia. I don't know if that helps. Also, I had a GGT of 7. The range was 3-90. I don't even know what GGT is.

That's consistent with a prostate infection and with my patients I prescribe either Septra or Cipro for a full month for that

The GGT is one liver enzyme but your value was low so nothing worrisome there

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You're saying my urinalysis reading is consistent with a prostate infection?

Yes and it would explain the lingering urethral pain

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how should I go about checking my prostate?

Just takes a digital exam by a doctor to look for bogginess and tenderness

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what are the drugs you prescribe? Are they antibiotics?

Yes--Septra DS--only one strength--twice a day or Cipro 500 mg twice a day for a month

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way to treat the infection without the use of antibiotics?

You can try oral probiotics and vitamin C but that isn't likely to do the trick

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wouldn't the Leukelyte and WBC count be abnormal because of the presence of the Chlamydia infection also?

No--that's purely prostate

I'll be happy to continue if you need me to but for now please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
given that the test was 2 months ago. I should probably go get another urinalysis test and a scan of my prostate? I've got to think of what is possible on the Island that I'm on. What specific urinalysis and or blood tests would give me better insight?

You don't need a prostate scan--just a finger in the rectum

And just a urinalysis to check again for white cells--blood work doesn't apply here

Dr. Chip and other Urology Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To get the finger in the rectum, I should see a Urinologist?