Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have stinging pain in my urethra and pain in the back/top…

Customer Question
I have stinging pain in...
I have stinging pain in my urethra and pain in the back/top of the testes. My urine culture and ultrasound of the scrotum came back negative. Rectal examination showed no prostatits. However, my urologist feels I have a prostate infection as the pain may be travelling to these areas. I have tried Cipro, Cefixime, Bactrim, and Nitrofurantoin for several months and think this may be an ESBL as it started in India (where ESBL rates are high). My urologist has suggested that we try PICC Line treatment with IV Antibiotics of Cetipime. Does Cefipime work for multidrug resistant prostate infections that may be ESBLs if I have already tried a cephalosporin (Cefixime or Suprax). Also, is it worth to give Fosfomycin a try as I wanted to know if it penetrated the prostate adequetly, etc?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Urology
6/16/2017
Urologist: Dr. David, MD replied 1 year ago

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you.

ESBL infections would be rare.

not drinking enough water, drinking alcohol, caffeine, spicy foods can irritate your bladder and urethra.

how often do you get this stinging pain?

do you have bad anxiety symptoms?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I get this stinging pain several times a day, especially when I relax my muscles such as when laying down. I do not have any anxiety or depression.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is at the tip of the penis.

have you worked on drinking more water

not smoking

no alcohol,

no spicy foods

limiting caffeine

these all can cause stinging pains

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I drink plenty of water a day and have switched my diet to very bland food as I have been having this for a few months and it hasn't been seen to resolve. Everytime I take antibiotics, the pain reduces but just doesn't go away. I am not a smoker and do not drink either.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Upon examination, my urologist said my vas deferns is inflammed as it hurt when he pinched it. Before trying IV antibiotics, I was wondering if there were any oral options.

paromomycin is a carbapenem which can kill ESBL bacteria

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok thank you

you are welcome

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com