Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

My dad was submitted to surgery because they found some

Customer Question
Hello, my dad was submitted...
Hello, my dad was submitted to surgery because they found some polyps in his bladder. It was supposed to be a simple go home the same day surgery and he is now in ICU. Let me give you a little more info about what I know happened.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: When they got him into surgery, they found a big tumor in his bladder which they then proceeded to partially remove. About 15-20min after surgery my dad was in his hospital bed and started screaming at the top of his lungs in pain. HIs white sheets were stained with blood and he was hemorrhaging. They put him back into surgery. After the second surgery, he started to go down hill hallucinating, saying he was seeing ghost go up and down, talking to the oxygen tank. One of his kidneys started to fail him and then he had to be taken into ICU cause he couldn't breathe on his own. The doctors said his lungs looked like he had smoked his whole life, which he hadn't. He did smoke up until he was 30 maybe 10 years but he's 75 and hasn't smoked since nor has anyone in the family. The doctors had no idea what could be causing this. They went and did an "explorative" surgery and found nothing. But they did say a little wound inside I believe in the bladder had not healed yet and they think that blood is seeping into that and causing his body and kidneys etc... to go into shock. I don't know the logistics. That was 3 operations in 5 days. They sedated dad, after the 4th day because he did not want to keep the mask on as it was very bothersome and it hurt him. Today has been 11 days since dad has been in the hospital since last monday and about 7 I think in ICU. I spoke to the doctor today and he says they have removed cold turkey his sedatives so he should be waking up but he is not, but its only been 2 days since they've done this. One of his kidneys is still not working so they are giving him dialysis every day. He says he's in a coma. He said today that they "think" cause they still can't figure it out, that when they went into his bladder and they found the the tumor when they tried to clean it out, the water or liquid they used seeped through a fissure in the bladder and cause his body to go out of wack. He mentioned something about this causing his electrolytes to be very low and they think he's not waking up because he got some type of brain damage perhaps. But they don't know. I am in Argentina in supposively the hospital with the top doctors here. My question to you is, from what I've explained here, was the hemmorraghe caused by a mistake these doctors made? because my uncle (dad's brother) is a doctor and he is saying that it is. I jsut want to get a second opinon from a urologist as he is not.
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: I have the steps taken yes but nothing from the doctors just personal. I jsut got to Argentina from LA this saturday.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No but if he has any questions I may have left out please let him know.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Urology
6/15/2017
Urologist: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

I'm very sorry this happened

Thanks doctor.

how are your dad's labs now?

Well, tumor biopsy came back cancerous but it hadn't penetrated the muscle. They are still waiting for the full report on that. His kidney is still not working, it was fine before the surgery and he is still with a respirator and asleep even though they removed sedatives a couple days ago.

Do you know what his BUN is?

What's that?

It is a marker of kidney function that could explain why he isn't waking up

also get ammonia levels

is this helpful?

Dr. Y.
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist