Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

My dad had a biopsy done and is diagnosed with prostate

Customer Question
cancer. he had infection after...
My dad had a biopsy done and is diagnosed with prostate cancer. he had infection after biopsy so he was hospitalized for few days as he had chills, fever, low wbc, low bp. After being stable we did a petscan and found the cancer is localized to prostate. The report also says some inflammation. Its been 2 weeks from the time he had biopsy so can we do a surgery now or do we have to wait for 4 weeks from the date of biopsy. His gleason is 4+5 so we d o not want to wait before it soreads but there are some inflammation. so please advise if 2 weeks after biopsy is ok to do robotic surgery when there is a slight inflammation. I am attaching his biopsy and petscan report for reference.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Urology
6/11/2017
Urologist: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist replied 5 months ago

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

It seems that biopsy and PET scan report has not attached.

pls see attached

I am reviewing them.

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in a few minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Surgery (robotic total prostatectomy) can be done with mild inflammation after two weeks of infection.

There is no issue about it.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

what are the risks of surgery and risk of that inflammation? What is the recovery time? Thanks

You are very welcome.

Risks of surgery are;

1) Erectile dysfunction

2) Retrograde ejaculation

3) Bleeding

4) Infection

5) Incontinence.

But all of these range in 1-2%.

Risk of inflammation is almost nothing.

Recovery time is around 7 days.

It is privilege assisting you.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist