Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

My urine bladder is quite streched due to time retention of…

Customer Question
My urine bladder is...

My urine bladder is quite streched due to long time retention of urine. It was happening before I had UROLIFT prostate operation done last month. After that I was on catheter with a bag on my leg for about 2 weeks as I could not pass urine on my self. Now I am using intermediate catheter which I am inserting my self when needed as I was instructed. They (in hospital) cannot tell me how long I will have to use catheter. Is there any excersize or/and any natural remedy which can help me to gradually shrink my urine bladder? Thank you in advance for any help. Regards ***** ***** (*****@******.***).

Doctor's Assistant: Is the condition chronic, or acute?

I did not have any serious problems before I started to have problem with urinating about 2 years ago. Then one urologist put me on Prazosin and later (after about 6 moths) when it did not work propperly he put me on Duodart. However it did not work for too long time either so I find another urologist who told me about my bladder streched and then he performed UROLIFT operation. Operation was succesfull but he also told me that I will have to use catheter for some time. But he is not sure for how long. That is the reason why I am looking for some way to some sort of to speed it up. Thanks an regards ***** ***** (*****@******.***)

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am in reasonable good health considering that I am 74 years old.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Urology
6/2/2017
Urologist: Troy Adolfson, Board Certified Physician replied 8 months ago
Troy Adolfson
Troy Adolfson, Board Certified Physician
Typically a stretched bladder will eventually resolve with time. The time frame can be quite variable...weeks to months. It is important to not let the bladder become over distended during this time. The self-catheterization is an important part of the recovery process.
Troy Adolfson
Troy Adolfson