Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

I had urinary retention and now have a temporary catheter in

Customer Question
and now have black specks...
I had urinary retention and now have a temporary catheter in and now have black specks and a few small blood clots. Could the back specks have blocked my urethra?
JA: Is the condition chronic, or acute?
Customer: it just started a few days ago and I never had any symptoms prior so I went to the ER
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: My gram had kidney stones but that is it - I haven't had any surgeries, taken any prescription drugs, etc but have had a lot of vitamin C lately
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Urology
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/30/2017
Urologist: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist replied 6 months ago

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

The black specks can be tiny concretions (small stones), which may have blocked the urethra. But there has to be a concomitant issue too like prostate enlargement or narrowing of the urethra (stricture). These issues not only cause urinary retention but also the formation of the stones (urine stagnation causes formation of the stones). You need following investigations to assess the cause;

1) Uroflowmetry.

2) Video urodynamics.

This will exactly ascertain the cause (prostate, urethra or bladder muscle).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist