Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

For the past 4 months I have had some pain on the skin of my

Customer Question
penis glans. The glans...
For the past 4 months I have had some pain on the skin of my penis glans. The glans skin seems "rough" not smooth like it use to be, and the area around my meatus seems to be more irritated than anything else. Ths is not intermittent, it is constant. The area around my meatus will be the most inflamed and will cause significant discomfort throughout the day as I move around and it rubs against clothing.I have been to a few doctors and urologist and they dont know what is causing it. I have been tested for all the STDs and UTI's and have been cleared negative. Had a Cytoscopy and it was normal.This is significantly impacting my ability to function normally. I cant jog anymore because of the discomfort this causes.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Urology
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/10/2017
Urologist: Dr. Chip, General Practice replied 6 months ago
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General Practice

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Could you please post a photo for me on this page?

Attached are Morning pictures. Please note that the area around the meatus will become more raised and inflamed throughout the day becoming worse in the PM.

Got it--thanks

Have you tried anything at all for it?

I was put on Cipro (7 days) & Doxcy (100mg x2 a day over 21 days) with no effect. I have tried certain steroid ointments with no effect (7 days). I have tried yeast creams with no effect (3-4 weeks). Epsom salt baths seem to temporarily make it feel better in the evening.

Which steroid ointments?

Monosol - clobetasol propionate 0.05%. This was tried about two months ago.

Did that help at all?

No apparent help or resolve. It persisted throughout the application period and still persists.

OK

Sorry for all the questions

We seem to be dealing with an inflammatory dermatitis that's pretty resistant to what you've tried

Were I your doctor I would prescribe either tacrolimus or picrolimus cream and that should in time clear it up

So ask your doctor about that

Please let me know if you need any more information

My apologies upfront for not mentioning this - I had forgotten about this detail it had been so long ago. They did prescribe me Tacrolimus Ointment and Zinc Oxide Paste after after i did not respond to the antibiotics, before the steroid ointment. I used it for about 2 weeks with no reduction in symptoms.

No problem

In that case I'd try a course of oral prednisone for a month

OK...will check up on that. Reference the Tacrolimus recommendation - how long should i have used that? Is two weeks sufficient for determination? And is the Zinc Oxide paste recommended as well. THey had me put the Tacrolimus on and then cover the area with the zinc paste.

I would have had you use it for a month but not with the zinc oxide

Dr Chip - I have some more related concerns. I have reinstated the use of the tacrolimus without the zinc. I have some other urological concerns that I thought were seperate, but they may all be related. I spent the past 6 months in Africa on military assignment and all these urological issues developed there. Of note, I did not have sex there, which seems to be the low hanging fruit all the doctors gravitate towards. While there, I developed the following in this order:
1) Penis Pain associated with Dyseria - treated with multiple antibiotics (Cipro, Azirthro, Oflox). The Dyseria eventually went away but the tip of penis was overly sensitive although looked normal.
2) Red Scrotum with tingling and pain - Was given the Monosol steriod ointment (7 days) and Doxcy for 21 days. This eventually went away.
3) Urine Retention and dribbling (2 Months ago): Started during the treatment for Red Scrotum. Was diagnosed with with BPH (PSA at 1). Did Cytoscopy during this and results were normal other than observed large prostate. Prostate is not tender or sore - just feels large. Started daily Flowmax and Alieve. Symptoms have gotten better but not entirely back to normal.
4) Penis Glans/Meatus Rash/discomfort pronounced. Since the beginning the penis glans has been sensitive, but now the Meatus rash area is extremely sensitive and pronounced (reference photos).
5) 2 days ago - my red scrotum is starting to return. Yesterday I could feel the heat developing along with sensitivity - the pubic hairs irritate the skin while wearing underwear.I'm at a complete loss where to turn. Could all these issues be related? I have an L4/L5 disc bulge w/sciatica - could this be some form of nuralgia or Prudendal Entrapment? The skin discoloration and change in texture leads me to believe its not.Doctors repeatedly test me for STDs and the results are coming back normal (3 times). They want me to put more steroid cream on my Scrotum, but that just makes it worse. I am going in today and want them to do a Semen culture, scrotum scrape, and maybe a biobsy of my glans skin. I tend to think this is fungal or a staff infection.....The discomfort and affect this is having on my life is truly putting me into a depressed state.

What yeast treatments did you try?

I did 5 days of Fluconozole (200mg) in February, for the past month I have put on creams that contain 1% Clotrimazole. I am eating a "candida kills diet," greens vegetables, tomatoes, white meat/eggs, garlic, coconut oil - no alcohol or processed sugars. Take pro-biotics twice daily.

OK

No, I don't think everything you listed is somehow interconnected

If not interconnected, then what is going on? what tests or treatments should I look into that have not been done?
Tests & treatments that have been done:
PSA, Cytoscopy, STD, multiple antibiotics (despite all cultures and lab work returning normal), Anti-fungal

You've had your prostate gland thoroughly checked out?

Digital exams to diagnose the size and for any abnormalities (BPH), PSA blood work (1), and urine flow rate (poor) before I was put on flowmax.
the Cytoscope

Well the only other possibility would be not pudendal entrapment but referred discomfort from the L4/5 disk problem

Would that cause the Red Scrotum and the Meatus/glans skin inflammation?

Well the scrotum could be fungal

But I think the meatus/glans problem is an inflammatory dermatitis

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General Practice