DrK99
DrK99, MD
Experience:  Board certified ob gyn with 20 years experience
65718478

I am a very active female 58. I am having an issue with

Customer Question

I am a very active female 58. I am having an issue with incontinenece when I sneeze, bowl or horse back ride. This happens even though I do not have a full bladder. I had this test done and it shows that my bladder does not empty fully. I constantly go to the bathroom to make sure my bladder is not full. Whenever I tighten my abdominals I leak. I'm being told there is nothing that can be done about this problem.
JA: Is the condition chronic, or acute?
Customer: This has started 3 years ago when I got a hysterectomy.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had issues when I was young after a ovarian cyst operation. I went through a series of tests. I was told that my bladder was pooling and wasn't fully emptying itself when I would urinate. This incontinence issue has become chronic since the hysterectomy.
Category: Urology
Expert:  DrK99 replied 4 months ago.
This is a stress incontinence and results from lack of support after your hysterectomy. You can learn to more fully empty your bladder, by voiding, standing for 10 seconds and then voiding again. You can do pelvc floor strengthening exercises. This helps you learn to contract the pelvic floor so that when you cough or bowl you can contract the muscles and not leak. Horse back riding may continue to be a problem.