Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. FCPS (R) General Surgery and Traumatology. 5 years experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I had a degloving surgery on my penis 6 months ago (to

Customer Question

I had a degloving surgery on my penis 6 months ago (to repair a torn urethra). The skin is still very sensitive in certain areas (painful at times). My urologist doesn't quite know why, he said it could be damage to the nerves. I'm curious if you think this is common after a surgery like this? More importantly, do you think it will get better or is 6 months plenty of time for the nerves to heal? Any insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 8 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Uzair.
I am reviewing your post and will get back to your reply momentarily.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 8 months ago.

Yes this type of pain and sensitivity occurs after surgery in some patients and the cause is usually nerve regeneration but the good thing is most of the times when the nerves mature and regenerate completely in about an year these issues settle down. You can apply capsaicin cream over the area to relieve symptoms.

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Regards.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 8 months ago.

Please let me know if you have followup questions.