Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General Practice
Experience:  Years of experience with general surgery and urgent care
18722459

For more than a year I have had progressively worsening

Customer Question

For more than a year I have had progressively worsening symptoms of pain in perineum, incomplete voiding, frequent urination, dribbling, etc. I am 36 and also dread the thought of sex due to the pain (especially afterwards). It is very uncomfortable to even sit! A walk in clinic sent me for lab work which came back clean (no bacteria or anything). My family doctor called me after he received clean urinalysis report and asked me my symptoms and told me I have prostatitis (I expect it is non-bacterial-I live a clean lifestyle, and lab work was clean) after which he told me he'd call in a prescription which was Apo-Sulfatrim DS 800/120mg TAB (Sulfamethoxazole/Trimethoprim). I asked why he would prescribe an anti-btc when I have no bacteria and he said it was to bring down the inflammation. I know some anti-btcs like quinolone have anti-inflammatory properties, is this drug one of them? I have been taking a 2 week supply (1 pill twice daily) for 6 days with absolutely no improvement. As I can not get an appt to see him (family Dr.) until Jan 16, can you also tell me what drugs/therapy etc I should ask him about? It seems to me that wasting time taking inappropriate antibiotics is foolish, ineffective and only prolongs my pain. Thanks
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome I'm Dr Chip

This indeed sounds like prostatitis but unless a culture was done of your urine it still is likely bacterial

Usually I prescribe a four week course of either Septa (what you're taking) or Cipro to eradicate the infection.

Antibiotics don't shrink the prostate unless it's enlarged from an infection

So for now you need to stay on the antibiotic but unless it completely clears this up you need to ask your doctor for a month's course of Cipro

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
As I mentioned urine work was done. I have the lab report in front of me and it indicates "no growth" in the culture. So back to my original questions...
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 8 months ago.

OK--did your doctor do a digital exam on your prostate to see if it's enlarged?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, he did not. He diagnosed me over the phone after asking me about my symptoms and reviewing the life labs report (Re: urinalysis and culture) that indicated nothing untoward.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 8 months ago.

OK, then you probably have benign prostatic hypertrophy which I have seen even in men of your age

He needs to do the digital exam and if that's the case a medication like Flomax will resolve your symptoms