How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Muneeb Ali Your Own Question
Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 7039
Experience:  MBBS,MD,ECFMG certified. Have dealt with urological emergencies in the ER on a regular basis
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Muneeb Ali is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I worried my one is larger then the other. I did a self exam

Customer Question

I worried my one testical is larger then the other. I did a self exam and there is know bumps of any sort at all and know pain. Does this sound like testical cancer?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Muneeb Ali replied 10 months ago.


Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Can you attach a picture of the testicles? That will allow me to determine what is the actual cause for the swelling. Also can i ask do you have any urinary symptoms like frequency or burning etc?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
You would not be able to tell threw pic of size difference. No burning frequency sometimes.
Expert:  Muneeb Ali replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

The first thing which comes to mind is that you could have hydrocele which is collection of fluid in the testicles. However a hydrocele would cause significant swelling and not mild swelling in most cases. A hydrocele is a benign condition in which there is collection of fluid due to a number of underlying issues. This can develop after an infection of any sort in the groin region or even after trauma of any sort. In most cases the hydrocele would subside on its own within 6 months however in some cases you may need treatment which can involve surgery to drain the fluid. This is a small procedure which is done by a urologist and you can even be discharged the same day.

But coming to your question, this does NOT sound like testicular cancer at all, testicular cancer would usually cause a palpable lump over the testicles which would be firm to hard in consistency. So from your description it is unlikely to be testicular cancer at all. However it can be hydrocele or even a spermatocele which is a small cyst which can form on the testicles. This again is a benign condition which usually requires no treatment.

Lastly, if you do have frequency then this size difference can be because of a low grade infection which could be causing epididymitis. this can be diagnosed on a clinical examination and also with the help of a testicular Ultrasound. the treatment is with simple antibiotics

But as far as cancer is concerned, this does not sound to be cancer at all

My suggestion would be to have your GP examine the testicles to see if there is a size difference and if so then he can then run an ultrasound which will diagnose the problem. But let me reassure you once again, with your current symptoms cancer is very very unlikely.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Expert:  Muneeb Ali replied 10 months ago.

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.