How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 35506
Experience:  MBBS MS (Surgery) Vast experience and routinely perform all urology procedures including endoscopy.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I not sure if a urologist is the correct specialist to ask,

Customer Question

I not sure if a urologist is the correct specialist to ask,
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No, the issue concerns a darkening of my skin in the genital region accompanied by cracking of the fore skin close to its top. I am a type 2 diabetic and was not sure if its related or something else
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 10 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 10 months ago.

Since when is the darkening and cracking?

Do you have symptoms like itching, oozing, pain from the skin?

Please post a photo.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Its been with me for some time (over a year), there is general itching and pain in the areas of skin where the crack occur. Also there is a daily buildup milky discharge under the foreskin that I clean daily.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The darkening of the skin surrounds the crutch area and extends towards the area of my buttocks
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 10 months ago.

The darkening is due to pigmentation and is likely due to following reasons (any combination is possible);

1) mild grade infection.

2) diabetes

3) medication.

The cracking and milky discharge can be infection of the foreskin, called as balanoposthitis (balanitis is inflammation of the glans and posthitis is inflammation of the foreskin). The treatment entails;

1) careful cleansing of the foreskin and glans by warm sterile saline water or with the betadine (available without prescription)

2) warm sitz baths,

3) application of low-dose topical corticosteroids like 0.5% hydrocortisone skin ointment (over the counter product)

4) topical antifungals (OTC) application

Circumcision is an option if the medical management fails.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.