How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Stan Your Own Question
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 2100
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr Stan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have kind of a weird problem. I have interstitial

Customer Question

I have kind of a weird problem. I have interstitial cystitis, and since Feb., I’ve been having this intense, burning pain in my pelvic area. It’s often combined with a very sore feeling in my bladder. I went for UTI tests several times. At times, the dipsticks were positive, but all cultures sent out were negative. I was given antibiotics on several occasions, which stopped the pain, but it always came back. Now, the pain is back again, and I don’t know what to do. I’ve tried all kinds of things for my IC, but I’m convinced I have an infection. What should I do? Are there any tests besides the standard urinalysis that could be done to pinpoint this problem?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 11 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am board certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry you have this urinary bladder problem. You may or may not have an infection that causes this. Have you had a cystoscopy or work up for immune disease? If not, this is what you need to do. Blood tests for autoimmune disease, cystoscopy, possible bladder biopsy and urethral stretching. May I suggest you schedule an appointment with a Urologist for the evaluation.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've had cystoscopies in the past, but not recently. I'm not sure what my doctor would find if they did one (I do have a urologist). I don't think I've ever had a work up for an autoimmune disease. I guess I'm wondering if there's a type of infection that could cause these symptoms, but is NOT a UTI. Or, is there another reason my UTI tests keep coming back negative? I feel like I need to give my doctor some direction about where to go from here.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 11 months ago.

Another cause of IC is myometritis (endometriosis) so if you haven't had an internal exam with your Gynecologist, this may be the time. Were biopsies done when you had the cystoscopy?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't know what biopsies, if any, were done. I'd consider having another cystoscopy done if I thought it would yield anything. And I thought myometritis is usually found in pregnant women, or women who've had children (I never have). I really feel like the pain is in my urethra--it feels very sensitive, and I can really *feel* the urine when it comes out. It was never like that before. So just to sum up, you can't think of anything else to test for that might cause these symptoms?
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 11 months ago.

urethral stretching to help completely empty your bladder, Kigel maneuvers also to help enlarge/empty your bladder completely. Medication such as an antihistamine, Hydroxyzine to help reduce the urgency especially at night. Endometrial tissue can be found outside of the uterus and can cause/contribute to your symptoms.

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 11 months ago.

How are you feeling?

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 11 months ago.

Have you scheduled an appointment to have another Cysto?