Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I am a Transitional Cell Carcinoma Patient. Was diagnosed as

Customer Question

I am a Transitional Cell Carcinoma Patient. Was diagnosed as stage 0 and had 4 tumors removed about 2.5 years ago. I have a cysto every 3 months to see-remove any new growths. After the procedure I have ex stream spasms that can can cause minor incontinence for 4-6 weeks after the procedure. After that it settles down until the next procedure. The spasms are felt at the very end of the penis...(in the area you might call the love nerve!) and the spasms are very strong when I urinate and at times experienced some incontinence and the spasms occure when I get the urge to urinate. My question is....is this due to the insertion of the tube and some abrasion right at the love nerve location right under the head of the penis. I sense that inserting and removing the tube has irritated the nerve and it takes several weeks until it heals before I loose the spasm sensation. The Dr uses KY...but I feel that nerve area gets irritated. Your thoughts?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 10 months ago.

HI

Cystoscopy usually causes minor loss of inner skin along with circumferential stretching of the urethra. This can cause minor inflammation in the urethra which could cause the bladder spasms.Most of the times it settles within few days. But some individuals can have symptoms for long.There is no specific reason for that.

You can take anticholinergic drugs like vesicare or detrusitol to decrease the spasms temporarily. I assume an urine test has been done before during one of these episodes. If not done then it has to be done.After all it is insertion of a foreign body which always carry the risk of an infection.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have tried the medications with no affect. The spasms last 6-7 weeks. Since the spasms and sensations are at the end of the penis...is it logical to think that the nerve is located there....and the irritation is in that area as well?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Urine tests have been done.

Sorry to respond so late.Spasms in the bladder and urethra are felt at the tip of the penis due to the similar nerve supply. So the problem doesn't need to be at the tip of the penis. Its like the bladder stone causing pain at the tip of the penis.It is called referred pain.

My assumption is that you are getting a bout of urethritis after each scopy. Things you can do about it is to take antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs during the acute phase. Once it reduces you can try to ignore it.

I guess after the next scopy the schedule is going to change.It would be either 6 monthly or once a year there after.

Dr.Tharun