Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

I am a 60 yr old male. I had to have a catheter put in on

Customer Question
Hello.i am a 60 yr...
Hello.i am a 60 yr old male. I had to have a catheter put in on Sept 9th at Legacy ER(removed 1500ml urine)...it stayed on till I saw a urologist(Dr Sutra),he removed it, and put me on Flow max. It's been rough,sleepless night,and very painful urination.There were no infections,and my prostate is a little large...last Wed I had to go to Legacy Good Sam, and they drained 800ml, and told me to take two of the .04mg Flowmax, but starting again on thurs nite, I have hardly slept(and have somehow still worked,except today as I really felt bad so I left early)...I noticed since yesterday that the sporadic, and paltry evacuations had become nothing but a semi-clear gel/liquid, and I've developed this little very firm extension of my lower intestine area just above bladder,and so I think that the very,very little urination(and painful) today and now continuing thru another sleepless night, is because I don't think as anything is moving into the large intestine, it's blocked right there, and so that bulging is moving the bladder, and blocking urination. Is that normal constipation? Should I stick it out till morning to call Dr Dutta?(tho they do not call right back,nor have immediate openings). Is it a blockage of some kind? I did take a stool softener,but I've only developed a head pain. What would they do to clear such a stoppage of the colon? And, should I go down tonight to the Urgent Care on NW22nd?...thank-you so much,i am considerably duress ed
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Urology
10/3/2016
Urologist: Christopher Palmer,
 replied 1 year ago
Christopher Palmer

I'm Dr Palmer. So just to be clear, you are still not able to urinate or just very little? And you are feeling constipated and evacuating only clear gel when you move you bowels?

Urologist: Christopher Palmer,
 replied 1 year ago

I can assure you that would have to be severely constipated for it to effect your urination. That is unlikely what is going on. If you are experiencing fevers, chills, blood in urine, severe nausea or vomiting, then yes you should go to the urgent care, but otherwise it seems unlikely anything dangerous is going on. You may still be retaining urine however, and you should get a cystoscopy if that has not already been done especially if flowmax is not helping and your prostate if only mildly enlarged.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
To your first question...yes,very little urination,painful,and for about 24hours now,only a clear liquid gel evacuates(not much of it). Dr Dutta said my prostate was a bit large, but said there was nothing(like cancer) going on.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is this normal constipation? I have never experienced this
Urologist: Christopher Palmer,
 replied 1 year ago

Bulging out of your abdomen is not normal. But it could represent a distended bladder rather than constipation. When was your last bowel movment?

Urologist: Christopher Palmer,
 replied 1 year ago

Constipation is VERY unlikely to cause urinary retention. If you have not urinated in awhile, you could be carrying around another(###) ###-####c of fluid in your bladder and may need catheterization. If you are experiencing a lot of pain, then yes you should go to an urgent care so they can do a bladder scan to see if you are retaining urine.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Several days ago there was a thin evacuation...not normal, but it was something,it may have been 4days or so before that,but I did not have such a bulge(right yes, but not so prominent.then there would be just some small amount would come out when I would urinate, till yesterday, went all that would come out is a little clear gel....
Urologist: Christopher Palmer,
 replied 1 year ago

SO when is the last time you really urinated?

Urologist: Christopher Palmer,
 replied 1 year ago

Constipation will not cause urinary retention, but a very distended bladder can interfere with colonic transit of stool.

Urologist: Christopher Palmer,
 replied 1 year ago

Are you on narcotics for pain? That can lead to considerable constipation. I would take a stool softener, but I'm much more concerned regarding urinary retention

Urologist: Christopher Palmer,
 replied 1 year ago

If the flowmax is not helping, and retention is still going on, then you will likely need a TURP (transurethral resection of the prostate), to allow urine to pass. If you retain 1000cc or more of urine, you are at risk of bladder perforation. So if you are feeling distended, and have not urinated (Not just gel) in 18-24 hours or longer then yes you need to go to an urgent care.

Urologist: Christopher Palmer,
 replied 1 year ago

Please let me know if you have further questions. I would not panic, but I would get checked out. You don't want to wait too long. Please rate me, and please take care. Contact me for further questions in the future. I need to sign off at this time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dr. Palmer,i did finally sleep a bit, so I missed your further texts;however,i have read them,and I do greatly appreciate your advice,it was helpful and informative, and expressed a genuine concern that I also appreciate much...something that seems more rare these days,a quality called "dharma" in the words genuine meaning...please continue always in this way
Urologist: Christopher Palmer,
 replied 1 year ago

Hello, thanks for you kind words. I certainly will. Take care.

Urologist: Christopher Palmer,
 replied 1 year ago

Would you mind rating me?

Christopher Palmer
Christopher Palmer
Christopher Palmer