dr abid
dr abid, Board Certified Urologist
Experience:  I have ten years experienced to handle patients of different specialities inc;uding Urology.
16766337

I had a cystoscopy procedure and the Urologist indicated I

Customer Question

I had a cystoscopy procedure and the Urologist indicated I had a slightly enlarged prostate for my age. The Urologist indicated my prostate size was in the range of 30 to 60 grams. I conveyed to the Urologist that was a wide range to indicate the size of my prostate gland after a cystocopy. He agreed and again commented that my prostate was slighlty englarged for my age. However he did not perform the acrual cystocopy procedure. Also since December of 2015 my PSA was 10.02 in March it was 3.62 and 2 weeks ago it was 1.48 and yes i take finesteride.
What is an acceptable size for a prostate gland for a person my age and since my psa score has been going down does this mean my prostate gland has been shrinking
Category: Urology
Expert:  dr abid replied 10 months ago.

Hi. I amCustomerWelcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.
I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
BTW i had an inflammed prostate gland due to a bladder infection during December 2015 which caused my prostate gland to enlarge
Expert:  dr abid replied 10 months ago.

A normal, healthy prostate gland is a walnut-sized organ that weighs approximately 15 grams in young men and around 30grams (about an ounce) in men age 50 or older.

And Ultrasound is best tool to detect prostate size , you should get it done .

You have normal PSA levels right now mean less than 4 ng/ ml .

So relax .

Good luck .

“Please let me know if you have any further questions. And please take the time to leave me a positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer. You can always ask me for a follow-up question post rating the answer. You can also ask for me in the future by going on the linkhttp://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-abid/”

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i understand what you're saying but i was told the size of my prostate gland after the cystoscopy was 30 to 60 grams. That's a wide range. I understand my PSA is below 4.0 and was over 10.0 in december and in march was 3.62 and now 1.48 so does that mean my prostate gland is shrinking as my PSA is going down since inflammation during december
Expert:  dr abid replied 10 months ago.

Yes when PSA levels are coming down this suggests that prostate size is declining and coming down .

This is good marker of recovery .

Regards .

Expert:  dr abid replied 10 months ago.

Are you there ...

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
does recovery mean i can one day reduce/stop taking finesteride/tamsuloson (inflammation/bladder infection cause an iflammed prostate gland back in december). Is this realisticlly possible to stop taking those prostate mediciation? and again i was given a range of size regarding my prostate gland of 30 to 60 grams based on the test results of a cystoscopy procedure performed back, isnt that a big range and thats very confusing to me
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
im here
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
is an ultrasound an invasive procedure and are you saying it's more accurate to detect the size of a prostate gland versus a cystoscopy procedure i had a few months ago?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
are you still there?
Expert:  dr abid replied 10 months ago.

No Ultrasound is not invasive procedure , this is simple procedure , that scan your Prostate with probe applied over there .

Cystoscopy is little invasive but Ultrasound is safe and non invasive .

Regards .

Positive feedback will be appreciated .

Thanks .

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Dr. Abid another Urologist took over my questions on this forum and answered my questions several days ago. Not sure what happen but please take the matter up with justanwser since i already paid another urologist from just answer
Expert:  dr abid replied 10 months ago.

Its Ok if you have already paid to other expert :)

Regards .