Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

I have two daughters aged 17 and 20 and both seem to have

Customer Question
Hi I have two daughters...
Hi I have two daughters aged 17 and 20 and both seem to have inherited my problem which is that when I feel the need to urinate we need to rush to the loo pretty immediately otherwise risk wetting ourselves.
It's become a problem for both of them, the 20 year old now saying it's really affecting her life.
I've had this as long as I can remember, but after having my girls the gynecologist suggest I see a urologist, this was 17 years ago. I kept a diary but was told there was nothing to be done, except there was a medicine I could take if I had to temporarily manage (i.e. Mountaineering etc) but it would make my mouth dry and drowsy so I did not try it and just stared wearing pads instead. How can I help the girls and myself (now I am 52) thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Urology
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/17/2016
Urologist: Urodoc, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Urodoc
Urodoc, Doctor

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.

Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

Any history of kidney stones?

Any history of pain?Burning while urination?

Any other relevant medical history?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No kidney stones.
No pain during urination.
Nothing else related to urination except that we need to go very frequently and very urgently, it's been many years now. Could it be psychological affecting the physical? Can I have taught my daughters by example to go too often and the result is now they cannot hold it?

Thanks for all these additional information.

I understand your concern.
Well as you describe,possible causes of your symptoms may include Interstitial Cystitis,Overactive bladder.

Studies of mothers, daughters, who have Interstitial cystitis suggest a hereditary risk factor. However, no gene has yet been implicated as a cause.

You should try some dietary and lifestyle modifications which can provide good results like

Avoid tomatoes, spices, alcohol, chocolate, caffeinated and citrus beverages, and high-acid foods.

Limit your fluid intake 3 to 6 hours before going to bed.

Bladder training can help your bladder hold a larger volume of urine. It can also help you gain more control over the urge to urinate. With bladder training, you gradually increase the time between bathroom visits. This will decrease urgency and leakage of urine over time.

Pelvic floor muscle therapy includes Kegel exercises, involves alternately contracting and relaxing the pelvic floor muscles.

Functional Electrical Stimulation involves electrically stimulating a nerve in the pelvic floor to cause muscles to contract or prevent the bladder muscles from contracting.

And see a urologist again for further management.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It's request to avoid poor/bad rating.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

It's my privilege to help you if you have any further query regarding your this health issue.
May I help you further?

Please avoid poor/bad rating.
Waiting for your response.

Urodoc
Urodoc
Urodoc, Doctor