Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

I have a slightl irritated foreskin - I went swimming in a

Customer Question
Hi. i have a slightl...
Hi. i have a slightl irritated foreskin - I went swimming in a chlorinated pool 4 days ago, which i rarely do, and then had sex with my pregnant wife for the 1st time in 6 weeks! And that was quite stop-start so I wonder maybe I've just managed to irritate it a bit? I was wondering if either of those explanations make sense, and what I should do? It's not TERRIBLE, maybe just feels like a tiny dose of thrush, no pain in urinating and my wife says she feels fine.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: er, hard to say exactly. I noticed a little irritation under the foreskin on Friday but ignored it, then notice a little itchy feeling today.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No. I do sometimes get thrush, or rather have had it in the past.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Urology
8/2/2016
Urologist: Michael Salama,
 replied 1 year ago
Michael Salama

Hello this is Dr. Salama MD,

Can you upload a picture?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sure. won't be a second...
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just transferring it now
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I think I just did two - one with foreskin not retracted and one with it pulled back. Quite hard to see but the issue is round the foreskin, I think - the flash makes everything stand out a bit more than it would in 'normal' light - it doesn't 'look' that red normally.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, just checking to see if you're still there?
Urologist: Michael Salama,
 replied 1 year ago

Yes, that does look like a fungal infection.

I would recommend using clotrimazole 1% twice daily for 1-2 weeks.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

If not, please don't forget to leave a positive rating as that's the only way I get credit for answering your question.

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. So, it's the sort of thing I might catch from my wife? She has no symptoms, though I am aware that vaginal yeasts / vaginal environment can change during pregnancy (she is 17 weeks).
Urologist: Michael Salama,
 replied 1 year ago

It is unlikely that transmission occurs sexually but it can happen.

Either way, it is not harmful to the pregnancy and can also be treated topically in pregnant women as well should she develop any symptoms.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, thanks. Well, I wonder how I got it! Maybe just through drinking alcohol and easting sugar (as I have a bit recently) and / or the chlorinated swimming pool irritating it? I've read that pregnant women can get yeast infections without knowing it.
Urologist: Michael Salama,
 replied 1 year ago

They can develop simply from sweating excessively and are more common in uncircumcised men.

Yes they are common in pregnant women but as I said transmission is not common.

Don't forget to leave a rating, thanks!

Urologist: Michael Salama,
 replied 1 year ago

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Michael Salama
Michael Salama
Michael Salama