How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Chaithanya Your Own Question
Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered.
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 798
Experience:  General Physician, Family medicine, Internal medicine, all age groups.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr Chaithanya is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband has been unable to pee more than a "thimble-full"

Customer Question

My husband has been unable to pee more than a "thimble-full" for the last 4-5 hours. His lower abdominal/bladder area muscles he says feel very taut. He says that when he tries to flex his bladder "muscles" to dispel urine, he poops instead and he is now bleeding and sore from wiping. He cannot sit, stand, or lay down without discomfort. Is there anything he can take or do to help? It is almost 11:00 pm and we would need to ride a boat 30-45 minutes to the nearest town, and another 20 minutes to a hospital where there will most certainly not be a urologist on staff.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.


Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.

Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

Is he diagnosed with any medical condition?

is he having blood in urine?

Is there pain during urination?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He does have BPH. It is genetic, as his father and brother also have it. He was asymptomatic until about five years ago when he had a hernia repair. Since then he generally finds peeing slow and unsatisfying, but he has never been in pain like this before. He has seen a doctor regularly, as his PSA has continued to slowly rise. But they have done a biopsy and scheduled followup appointments, which he goes to.Today his pain is especially bad when sitting. He has no blood in the urine. He can't really pee. He says that he just gets a dribble. He says that after attempting to pee, he has great discomfort in his lower abdomen. He says it feels like there are muscles tightening, but they are the "wrong" muscles so that they would actually block his ability to pee. He is so uncomfortable he doesn't want to sit or lay down and is sort of pacing, bent over.
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply.

The symptoms you have described about your husband of having discomfort in urination since past 4-5 hours & is now bleeding can be due to various causes such as benign pro static hyperplasia (BPH; enlarged prostate) in men over especially over 40 age,prostate infection or inflammation (prostities)kidney stones and bladder stones,infection of the bladder, kidney, or urethra.

He need following tests:

-Urinalysis-Urine culture & sensitivity test

-Digital rectal examination (DRE),
-PSA velocity.

The most probable cause of his symptoms seems to be Benign prostatic hyperplasia which he is already diagnosed.With age, the prosate gland may begin to grow.The growth may eventually cause problems with urination, because the gland pinches off the urethra as it increases its size.

I can understand that the hospital is very far away from your place & it may take an hour to reach there to get the Prescription medications.Till then to get relief from discomfort,give him tab. Ibuprofen 400 mg from the counter. It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help him greatly.

Also I would like to tell you that this is not a dangerous or serious condition & is treatable with medications.

Please do not get panic & give him tab.Ibuprofen to get relief while you go to the hospital for further treatment.

Hope this helped.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today we only get after positive feedback.Bonus is highly appreciated.

Is there anything else that you would like to know.I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Thank you.

Kind Regards


Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 1 year ago.


I'm Dr Chaithanya attending you

A prostate ultrasound is what is needed as soon as possible along with a CT if possible.

If the pain is so severe, he needs to go to ER

Follow u PSA levels every 3 months

Now for pain, Ibuprofen may not help. He needs more powerful pain killer like vicodin

This is prescription drug and you need to take help of your family doc for prescription [any doc can give, not only urologist]

Hope this helps

Please leave a positive rating at the top right corner of the page, the only way we experts are compensated for answering you

Follow up questions can be asked even after the positive rating

You can get back to me any time here,

Any bonus is welcome and appreciated

Best Regards

Dr Chaithanya

Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 1 year ago.

I can call you and clarify your doubts for a better help if you need. Please accept the offer. If Phone call service is not required, that is fine, please leave a positive rating.