How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, MD
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 46719
Experience:  Experienced physican in Urology
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

72 years old, good health, dealing with enlarged prostate

Customer Question

72 years old, good health, dealing with enlarged prostate for 10 years, non-cancerous
Prostate 120 gr. Urologist suggests robotic prostate removal, leaving outer shell, as opposed to TERP which would require 2 procedures
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

I think you mean TURP which is transurethral resection of prostate tissue.

wow, 120gm prostate is huge.

removal of the prostate, even leaving the outer shell can increase your risks for urinary incontinence.

the prostate does help hold urine back and helps you to not have to urinate as frequently.

TURP cuts out less prostate tissue, cuts out some chips of prostate gland on the inside and widens the urethral flow for urine

so it is not as drastic as taking out the whole prostate gland.

I would hate for you to have your prostate removed and then have to suffer with urinary incontinence.

you can also have the TURP procedure in one or two steps and if you still have trouble urinating, the robotic procedure is still a possibility. you can't go back to have the TURP if you have urinary problems from the prostatectomy.

talk to your urologist about these issues.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using