Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Physician
Experience:  General Physician, PGCSD
6740150

My wife has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease at

Customer Question

My wife has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease at the sane time I have lots of desire but am unable to maintain a hard erection. Every time I try to touch her she says "later" or "I am hurting to bad to have sex!" As you can imagine I am very frustrated. Any suggestions?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern

Since how long are you having problem in erection?

Do you have any known medical illness?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My first wife and I were married 57 years. She died in 2011 and I married her best friend and cousin and we are going on 41/2 yr. of marriage. Th first 21/2 yr. the marriage couldn't have been better sexually; she was always ready and I was able to preform, since then her health and desire and performance have been in steady decline.As to health problems I take metformin for sugar, carbidopa/levodopa for Parkinson's, and atorvastatin and Losartan/hctz for heart condition few years ago.
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back & providing more details.

The symptoms you have described of getting problem to maintain the hard erection is due to a condition called

as ED(erectile dysfunction).Its most common causes are: ageing,diabetes,hypertension (high blood pressure),cardiovascular diseases,cigarette smoking,nerve or spinal cord damage,low testosterone levels,certain medications,depression and anxiety.

Your elderly age along with diabetes,high blood pressure & heart disease can be the most probable cause.

You need following tests:

-Neurological evaluation,

-Dynamic infusion cavernosometry(DIC) and cavernosography (DICC),

-Nocturnal tumescence test.

The treatment depends on the cause.It includes Oral medications like Sildenafil (Viagra),Tadalafil (Cialis),life style improvements (for example; quitting smoking, and exercising more).

So my best advise for you is to make an appointment with your doctor to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & hence the above described prescription medication accordingly.

Hope this helped

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You did not address my wife's low desire for sex.
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

What is her age?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
74
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

The cause of low libido/low sexual desire in females can be psychological like stress,anxiety,depression or physical/medical like anemia,diabetes,alcoholism,smoking.

Clinically this condition is known as HSDD (hypoactive sexual desire disorder).Aging process itself causes changes in desire in women over age 45.That is menopause leading to hormonal changes is an important cause of low sexual desire,

As women get older,testosterone hormone level falls.This specially occurs after age of 55.The fact is that testosterone either declines 50% or is absent altogether in women after the menopause.

So to increase her sexual desire,she needs to get an appointment with her gyne doctor for hormonal check up & accordingly she will be prescribed with hormone medications that will boost her desire for sex.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How does the Alzhimer's affect her sex desire?
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Yes,Alzheimer's disease can have impact on one's sexual desire.Less interest, or no interest, in sex can be seen in an individual.

As your wife is diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease,this can be the cause of low sexual desire.

The other causes can be ruled out any having hormonal & other blood tests.

For more details click here:

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=129

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer

Is there anything else that you would like to know. , I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh