Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

I had prostatis 6 months back. Doctor gave anti biotic. It

Customer Question
was cured. Then I had...
I had prostatis 6 months back. Doctor gave anti biotic. It was cured. Then I had balantitis. I used canestan cream. Its also cured. Now I have pain in scrotam and feel little heaviness in penis. There is no discharge or pain during urine. I dont hav no other illness.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Urology
6/4/2016
Urologist: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love and I will be glad to assist you today.

The symptoms that you describe is most often due to an epididymitis, an infection of the tube that drains the testicles. This tube, the epididymis, passes up from the scrotum and travels to the prostate and empties into the tube the is in your penis, the urethra. Since all of these organs are connected and flow into each other, infections from each of these organs can progress to the other, but we typically name the infection at the site that is causing the greatest symptoms. The usual treatment for this would be oral antibiotics, such as doxycycline.

If the pain in the scrotum is more severe, then there would be more concern about a more rare condition in which the testicle twists on itself, called testicular torsion. This requires emergent attention, so it is recommended that any man with more severe scrotal pain should be seen emergently. It still could be an infection, but the more serious condition should be excluded quickly.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how many antibiotic should i take in a day and for how long? Should i take pain killer? I live in dubai. What will be the name of medicine here? Is it over the counter medicine?

The usual dose of doxycycline for epididymitis is 100 mg twice daily for 10 days. Doxycycline is the generic name, so would be called that in Dubai, if you can find the name written in english. I have no resource to say whether it is over the counter in Dubai.

Whether to take something for the pain would depend upon whether the pain is bad enough that you feel that you need to take something for the pain, but it is fine to take any over the counter pain medicine for this and along with the doxycycline.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Why this type of infection occurs? What should prevent future reoccurrence? Is it STD? Any restriction on food or for sexual activity? Should i take panadol? Pain is medium

This infection happens by a germ traveling up the tubes, in the same way that an infection of the prostate happens, although the germ travels slightly further. It can sometimes be due to an TD germ, chlamydia, but it also can be caused by various non-sexually transmitted germs. There is no intervention or restriction that will prevent this infection.

It is fine to take any over the counter pain medicine, including panadol.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should i take doxycyline before or after meal?

It is ideal if the drug is taken on an empty stomach with a glass of water, but if there is any upset stomach from the medicine, you can take it with milk or with food.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor