How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 18664
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandson had 3 surgeries for Hypospadias repair. The

Customer Question

My grandson had 3 surgeries for Hypospadias repair. The first two were performed by a doctor that said he was a Pediatric Urologist. He's actually a Pediatric Surgeon. His diagnosis was. Undecended testes, Hypospadias and hydrocele. First surgery failed because of a fistula that developed. Second surgery 9 months later. Same diagnosis and this time he stated that the testes could be easily retracted. He actually wrote a consent for Hypospadias repair, Bilateral Orchiopexy and Left Hydrocele repair. The day of surgery he rewrote the consent for only Hypospadias Repair. Again the surgery failed. We got a second opinion for a third surgery. This time we saw a Pediatric Urologist that said she has corrected patients that had surgeries by this doctor claiming to be a Pediatric Urologist. Her assessment: Hypospadias Repaired 9/2014. He developed a urethrocutaneous fistula which was repaired resulting in Proximal Hypospadias. Surgical procedure: Proximal Hypospadias repair with Buccal grafti inlay with tunica Vaginalis coverage, chordee correction. Scotoplasty for repair of BIFID scrotum (a deep midline cleft in the scrotum), Left inguinal hernia repair. My grandson went through a year of hell. It has been 2 months now and he has healed nicely and the procedure corrected his Hypospadias and other defects. I feel the first doctor did a disservice to my grandson and want to seek an attorney to have him stopped for performing surgeries he's not an expert in. Is this a sign of neglect in the medical spectrum? lThank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 1 year ago.


I'm Dr Chaithanya attending you

This can happen in few patients when they approach menopause

The time of menopause differs among people,

It may extend from 45 to 55 yrs

But, I don't want you to ignore the symptoms

Get a ultrasound scan abdomen once to see if Endometrial[Inner uterine layer] thickness is normal

To ruleout any other uterine and cervical abnormalities.

Please leave a positive rating at the right corner of the page, so that I'm compensated,

Any bonus I appreciate.

Good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You did not answer my question. This must be for someone else.
Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 1 year ago.

I'm very sorry, some network error. This is for other patient.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

There is much more information that would be needed to be able to judge whether this would be considered neglect. However, if there is a physician that is presenting to patients that they are of a specialty that is false or that they have training that is false, that would clearly be a violation of state licensing rules and regulations. You can file a complaint with the Medical Board in your state and they will be able to investigate the issue and take action, as appropriate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think doing 2 surgeries and not completing the complete repair is putting the child at risk. He just didn't have the experience as the doctor that completed the complete procedure in one surgery. I'll have to further investigate this. I thought you could tell me if the first doctor could have completed the whole procedure instead of doing it in stages. Are you a Urologist?
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

A bad outcome, either because of fistula formation or failed surgery, does not prove that there is negligence.

I am not a Urologist, but I have experience as a Medical Director at a hospital, and I can tell you that every surgeon will have occasional complications or other bad outcomes. We consider taking action against surgeons only if there is a higher rate of complications. I can also tell you that if you want to stop him from doing surgeries, the best action for you to take is to complain to the Medical Board in your state. A single lawsuit will not get him to stop doing surgeries.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't want to sue I just don't want this to happen to other children. He could have said I'm not an urologist but will refer you. Thank you for your input!!
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Filing a complaint with the Medical Board is not suing, but would be the best method to keep this from happening to other children.