Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

My Semen is dark in color? What could be the cause and

Customer Question
My Semen is dark brown...
My Semen is dark brown in color? What could be the cause and solution?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Urology
5/23/2016
Urologist: Dr. David, MD replied 1 year ago

This is Dr. David

a small amount of blood in the area where sperm is made can cause your semen to turn dark brown

usually this is not a worry to have some blood or old blood mixed in with the semen

this is called Hematospermia which is defined as blood in the semen

if you haven't masturbated in a while, it can be normal to have some old blood mixed in with your semen

sometimes mild prostate infection can cause some blood to be mixed in with semen.

most often, no treatment is needed if you have blood in the semen.

how old are you?

let me know if you have questions.

Dr. David, MD