Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

I have been experiencing Frequent urination for about 2

Customer Question
weeks. About 15 times a...
I have been experiencing Frequent urination for about 2 weeks. About 15 times a day in large amounts. Had blood taken, urine test and a PSA . Results came back negative, no diabetes, no pain when urinating, no prostrate enlargement. Pee very clear. Drink enough water just to stay hydrated, sip on GATORADE to keep Electrolytes balanced. Can't think of any dietary changes. How can I get this to subside?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Urology
5/20/2016
Urologist: khagihara, Medical doctor replied 1 year ago
khagihara
khagihara, Medical doctor

How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any weight change? Any other symptoms? Thirsty? Do you drink a lot of liquid? Does anything make it better or worse? Is it getting worse? Are you aware of anything which might have triggered it? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs? Any family medical history?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
6'6 1/2, 260, weight increased 10 lbs from last year, no other symptoms, not thirsty, do not drink a lot of liquids, drinking water to replenish lost fluids urges it, not getting worse. Not aware of triggers, high blood pressure, no surgeries, high blood pressure medicine with diuretic- started taking after problem , no surgeries

Do you mean the frequent urination started after the high blood pressure medication with diuretic? Is your sodium in the blood normal? Did you have urine osmolality checked? Did you have the response (urine volume and osmolality) to water restriction checked?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No the frequent urination was before the medication. Not sure what was checked with the Urine Sample.

You could have diabetes insipidus. Diabetes insipidus occurs when your body can't regulate how it handles fluids. Your body makes ADH in the hypothalamus and stores the hormone in your pituitary gland, a small gland located in the base of your brain. ADH is released into your bloodstream when your body starts to become dehydrated. ADH then concentrates the urine by triggering the kidney tubules to release water back into your bloodstream rather than excreting as much water into your urine. There are two forms.

Central diabetes insipidus. The cause of central diabetes insipidus in adults is usually damage to the pituitary gland or hypothalamus. This damage disrupts the normal production, storage and release of ADH.

Nephrogenic diabetes insipidus. Nephrogenic diabetes insipidus occurs when there's a defect in the kidney tubules — the structures in your kidneys that cause water to be excreted or reabsorbed. This defect makes your kidneys unable to properly respond to ADH.

You should see an endocrinologist to have exam and tests.

khagihara
khagihara
khagihara, Medical doctor