How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 18541
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've been have irritation in my penis and groin area. It

Customer Question

Hi Doctor, I've been have irritation in my penis and groin area. It feels like swollen glands in my groin area. There no significant pain but discomfort. Blood work came out clean as well as a penile swab but the doctor still treated me with zithromax. Still feel the same way. Please advice as to what you think this could be.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Could you describe better the irritation of the penis

Is this a visible irritation? If so, could you attach a picture of the irritation?

Or is this a burning sensation inside the penis?

Is there any discharge from the penis?

Do you know what tests were done on the penile swab?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The swab was to check for bacteria.there is no burning or discharge.there is also no visible rash or juts discomfort and feels like swollen glands around the groin area when I press down
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

The swollen glands suggest an infection, but it is a non-specific in that it can occur from any type of infection.

If there is mild discomfort of the penis and no discharge, there are a couple of infections that are common. One is a sexually transmitted germ, called chlamydia, which is one of the more common sexually transmitted disease. Gonorrhea can also cause irritation of the penis, but would usually cause more significant discomfort or pain and have a discharge, so would be unlikely in this case. There is a test that can be done on a penile swab for either gonorrhea or chlamydia, or both, so your doctor may have checked for these germs.

The other common infection is non-gonococcal urethritis, or NGU. Actually, before we had good tests for chlamydia, a chlamydia infection was also included in the diagnosis of NGU. At the time, we could only effectively exclude gonorrhea, so all remaining germs were lumped together. Now that we can exclude both gonorrhea and chlamydia, there are still some germs that are not sexually transmitted that can cause NGU, including Ureaplasma urealyticum, Mycoplasma genitlaium, and Haemophilus vaginalis. Identifying these germs is still difficult, so we usually will treat empirically once gonorrhea and chlamydia are excluded. There are a couple of antibiotics that are effective against NGU, including the Zithromax, but it is also common to use doxycycline. In your case, sicne the Zithromax has not helped, it would be common to try a course of doxycycline.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now that u mention it.i recollect it took a 4 day treatment of doxycycline but stopped cos I felt it made no difference.maybe I shouldn't have stopped.should I take it again?and for how long should I take it as well as what dosage
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

It would be reasonable to take the doxycycline again, but it may be better to use a longer course. The usual course of doxycycline is 100 mg twice daily for 7-10 days. There are some men that have NGU that also progresses to an infection higher in the genital tract, such as a prostatitis or epididymitis, and these infections may require 4-6 weeks of antibiotics.