Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

I have a ton of symptoms an abnormal blood work I want to

Customer Question
know how bad my creatine...
I have a ton of symptoms an abnormal blood work I want to know how bad my creatine an anion gap indicates my kidney could b in.without any other abnormal kidney tests.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Urology
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/13/2016
Urologist: Dr. Y., Urologist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Please provide the blood test so I can talk to interpret it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Creatine 0.6 anion gap 13
Your creatinine is totally normal. What is the upper limit of normal for your anion gap at the lab where you had the blood work drawn?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
for anion gap over 11 said was high and for creatine under 0.7 was low i have severe urination problems, frequent and difficulty to completely emptying bladder, trouble holding it if i have to go i can't hold it long and I'm always thirsty
The symptoms could be a sign of diabetes. You need to see your doctor to be tested for diabetes. A low creatinine level is never concerning. Your anion gap is very slightly elevated. This could be due to diabetes as well. You need to see your doctor for an evaluation for this.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i was checked for diabetes and do not have it, so is there anything else that could cause these urination symptoms
Is could also be a different kind of diabetes called diabetes insipid is where you make too much urine and this can cause your symptoms and make you drink lots of water. You would likely need to referred to an endocrinologist to evaluate for this. It could also be an unstable bladder from overactive bladder. You would need to see a urologist to see if you need to be treated for this.
Sorry insipid= insipidus
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i thought endocrinologist was for thyroid. what is everything that endocrinologists deal with?
They deal with everything hormonally related to the body.
All types of diabetes are a hormone disorder
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How would urologist treat an overactive bladder? Is there anything else anion gap could indicate? Why is creatine overlooked? If I have frequent urination, constantly thirsty, trouble holding it if I have to use the restroom, and trouble fully emptying bladder, that doesnt sound like something serious to u?

The creatinine is normal. An overactive bladder can be treated with a medication such as oxybutynin. AN elevated anion gap could be due to many other possible causes such as metabolic abnormalities in your blood. Your doctor would have to look for them in your bloodwork. This problem you have does not sound like anything serious like cancer. It sounds suspicious for diabetes insipidus to me. Hope this helps and please don't forge tot leave me a rating. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
y r u trying to end the conversation when I'm not done. y r u saying creatinine is normal but they say it isn't?
A creatinine of 0.6 is normal
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the question was why would other doctors say it isn't
I don't know. You would have to ask them that. A Creatinine of 0.6 is completely normal.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can u please b more specific. u can't just tell me to ask them y they say its a little low because they r going to say that they said it because it is. i am on here trying to get answers not create more questions. does normal usually fluctuate between doctors? r u saying its normal because its not that low or low enough to worry about? what exact number make it low for u? i have at least 20 symptoms an I'm 20 an can't even hold my 1 year old son, whatever i have is uncommon, please help me with thorough answers
Urologist: khagihara, Medical doctor replied 1 year ago
khagihara
khagihara, Medical doctor

I agree with Dr. Y. The creatinine level is normal and you don't need to worry about it. The anion gap is not worrisome. You should see a urologist to have exam & tests for Diabetes insipidus which is problem of the hormone called ADH or the receptor. ADH is produced from the brain. The ADH receptors exist in the kidney. ADH helps absorbing water from the kidney. If it doesn't work well, you have frequent urination and thirsty.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can u tell me why my doctors told me it could be something to be concerned about that creatinine is steadily going down an anion gap is going up? if u factor in a ton of other symptoms an abnormal tests that show something is wrong, could a doctor look at the fact that creatinine an anion gap r continuously going in a worse direction, a say it could indicate something?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can kidneys b in the beginning stages of failing without it showing up in blood work? could it b good to get some kind of imaging, is there a way to tell kidney failure signs on images? I'm sure there is more than one way to determine organ failure so i just would like to know the options for determining kidney failure. what organs can b seen in an abdominal mri? if the kidneys are in the back, then i assume they can be seen from front images. what is the most dependable type of imaging or at least what r each type used for more often, what makes a doctor choose X-ray vs mri vs ct scan vs ultrasound etc. please answer the questions from this message an the previous, i just didn't want to forget the new questions i have came up with, thank u

The creatinine and anion gap is not worrisome. Can you attach the blood test result here? I will try to find out their concern. How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any other symptoms? Then did your symptoms start? Does anything make it better or worse? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs? Any family medical history?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i can't attach results but i told u what the exact numbers are. if my creatinine was 0.06 what number is ***** it becomes low to u even a little? i have tons of symptoms they think i have lupus but other than my bladder, i have pains in my stomach, enlarged liver, sharp chest pains, palpitations, an trouble breathing, purple spotted rash, gallbladder surgery,no medications cause i didn't want anything to throw off tests,brain cyst, speech problem, involuntary movements, memory loss,5'2 200lbs,weak, tired, what kind of tests would a urologist want to order?

Low creatinine levels are not problem. High creatinine levels are problem. According to your bladder symptoms, you should see an endocrinologist rather than a urologist.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
basically no matter how low creatinine levels are, being low doesn't matter at all ever? what exactly is the difference between what an endocrinologist does an a urologist? so a urologist wouldn't b able to do anything? what tests do u think should b ordered to get more answers?

Low creatinine levels don't matter at all. According to your symptoms, diabetes insipidus is suspected. Endocrinologist takes care of any hormone diseases. Urologist takes care of kidney, ureter, bladder, urethra. Urologist can't test regarding diabetes insipidus because it is a hormonal disease. Endocrinologist will perform the following test to confirm diagnosis of diabetes insipidus.

Water deprivation test. This test confirms the diagnosis and helps determine the cause of diabetes insipidus. Under medical supervision, you'll be asked to stop drinking fluids for a time so that your doctor can measure changes in your body weight, urine output and the concentration of your urine and blood when fluids are withheld.

Your doctor may also measure blood levels of ADH or administer synthetic ADH during this test.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
stop drinking just water or all fluids? and how long r fluids usually withheld? what might a urologist order or look at with my bladder? if creatinine only matters if its high, not low, then what was the reason for the anion gap not being too high to u an what is a high anion gap to u? what does anion gap indicate? also my alkaline phosphate was 93 which i was told is high and my immature granulocytes was 0.03 which i was told was also high
khagihara
khagihara
khagihara, Medical doctor