Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

I have had uti symptoms for awhile. I originally had a UA

Customer Question
Hello! So I have had...
Hello! So I have had uti symptoms for awhile. I originally had a UA that showed blood (which was after I took 2 cipro). The culture came back clear of course. I continued to have frequency and abdominal pain. I was put on macrobid for 10 days. Some relief but it was on and off. Most of my complaint was frequent urination when lying down. So, after it was said and done I ended up with a yeast infection. Took diflucan. A week after being off everything I did a culture and it was clear. So I have narrowed it down. The other day I took Metamucil in the morning and noticed I had frequency during the day and slight burning. Last night I took it 30 mins before bed and I was up about 5 times. And the burning in my urethra. It is coming and going throughout the day. Better as the day passes. Is this common? I have taken Metamucil and never noticed anything like I have experienced in the past say 2 months. I have diverticulosis so I am no stranger to Metamucil. Is it possible for this to just happen? Please give me some insight. I am stumped.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Urology
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/2/2016
Urologist: Dr. Y., Urologist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
How old are you? How long have you had the symptoms?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am 34. I had the uti (urinalysis with rbc mid January) it went away and came back mid/end of February. I just had the culture done last Thursday March 24. I haven't had symptoms until this week with the Metamucil
Do you smoke?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not daily but at times, yes.
Ok. Smoking puts you at risk for bladder cancer and this could cause the symptoms you describe. Be used of this, you must see a urologist for a CT scan and cystoscopy to look in the bladder to see if this is what is causing your symptoms. Hope this helps.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wouldn't the recent culture show blood or abnormalities if it was cancerous? I know the first urinalysis that showed blood in Jan was sent to determine it wasn't anything such as bacteria and also more blood?
No. Only a irine cytology sent by a urology would show if there are cancer cells or not
Sorry urine
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
basically my only diagnosis at this point would be cancer? And the urinalysis that showed trace blood in Jan would be definite of cancer. And the culture would show nothing abnormal if it was cancer? So basically I have a death sentence.
No. The chances of having cancer are less than 10%. The more likely diagnosis is overactive bladder. But because of your smoking history, the work up I described must be done.
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist