Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have a Chemstrip 10 kit I have used, as needed to check my

Customer Question

I have a Chemstrip 10 kit I have used, as needed to check my urine. I travel a lot with work. My question is the 3 tests I did at home has high levels of nitrites and leukocytes but when i went to a urgent care clinic, it shows very minimal.In the 30 yrs of urine testing i have never had nitites in my urine. Please help.
Category: Urology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can diet be the reason for nitrites? I am on Septra DS for this and for throat infection. No other meds taken aside from vitamins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Photo of home test
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Are you having any urinary symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A little burning not much though
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
The presence of nitrates in the urine typically indicates a urinary tract infection. Especially since you have a slight amount of burning, it is probable that you have a UTI. If you have a doctor that you can visit, I would recommend that you have a urine culture done to see if you need to be started on antibiotics to treat this. If you don't have a doctor, you can try to go to the drugstore to buy an over-the-counter supplement called Cystex to see if this clears up your symptoms. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate your help very much Dr. Y. The clinic dr says that the Bactrim DS given for the throat issue will also wk for the uti. Do you agree?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also why is my home test showing nitrites snd leukocytes and the urgent care test not?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to find out what I need from my primary doctor. No need for you to help
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
The home test this the least accurate of the tests out there. It may be giving a false result