Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I had a spa test 12 months ago and it was 5.5, 3 months

Customer Question
Hi, I had a...

Hi, I had a spa test 12 months ago and it was 5.5, 3 months later it dropped to 4.5, another 3 months laterite dropped to 4.4. Last week I had another spa test and it has now risen to 5.4, I am 55 years old and very healthy. Could this be a problem.

Doctor's Assistant: The Urologist will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Urologist should know?

No thanks

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Urology
3/7/2016
Urologist: Dr. Y., Urologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist

Do you have a family history of prostate cancer in a first degree relative?

HiNo, no one in the family has had prostate cancer, my doctor has also given me a rectrum examination and all was fine.
Sorry just looking at my first email and there is a mistake, 12 months ago my PSA was 5.5, 3 months later that dropped to 4.5, 3 months after that it dropped to 4.4 and from my PSA test last week it is now 5.2. I am 55 and fit for my age, the doctor gave me a rectrum examination and all was fine.Should I worry about the 5.2 level?

Yes, any PSA about 4.0 is considered elevated. At your age, your PSA should be less than 2.0. Your PSA level raise the concern for the possibility of the presence of prostate cancer as the cause of the elevated PSA. Even if the prostate felt normal on exam, you can still have microscopic prostate cancer that cannot be felt. You need to be referred to a urologist to consider doing a prostate biopsy to evaluate for the presence of prostate cancer. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.