Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Frequent UTIs with no abnormal parts. Prescribed Cipro

Customer Question
Frequent UTIs with no abnormal...
Frequent UTIs with no abnormal parts. Prescribed Cipro Thursday after calling my urologist. I've been taking Cipro for years for UTIs since I'm allergic to Bactrim and macrobid is used post coitus for prevention. I'm getting the chills and temp is now 99.1. Also weak and very mild nausea. Soreness in flanks and back. Do I need to go to urgent care or can I add the macrobid until tomorrow when I can be seen by urologist? Hsband goes out of town tonight until Thursday and I hav 2 kids I'm in chg of 8 and 7. Thank you in advance.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Urology
3/6/2016
Urologist: Dr. Y., Urologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist

Did they do a urine culture? What bacteria did it show and was it sensitive to cipro?

No they called it in due to history.
I just saw them 1.5 months ago.

The chills and back pain makes this sounds like you have a severe kidney infection called pyelonephritis. Macrobid will not treat this. You need to get in to see a doctor immediately for a urine culture and you should be started on a different antibiotic such as cephalexin until the urine culture returns Hope this helps.