How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Y. Your Own Question
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 20388
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Y. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was diagnosed with balanitis about 2 months ago. I was

Customer Question

Hi there,My name is ***** ***** I was diagnosed with balanitis about 2 months ago. I was prescribed clotrimazole to fight it and it did, but it left me with a few side effects. I developed soreness and redness on the head of my penis due to the cream and I became greatly concerned that the balanitis came back, so I contacted a urologist on this site and he informed me that my symptoms were just irritation and that I should use saline solution and hydrocortisone. I've been doing as the doc said and I'm just wondering if I'm healing properly. I just started a new relationship and I'm just wondering if I'm healthy enough for intercourse.Thank you for your time!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

If it hurts you to have sex, you should wait until the pain stops. To treat this balanitis, your doctor needs to prescribe a topical steroid called betamethasone. It will take 6-8 weeks of this medication to help it go away. Hope this helps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know the photo aren't the best but from the looks of things, is it just inflammation? My doctor said the balanitis looked fungal and that's why she recommended the clotrimazole. Does anything look serious enough for me to head to a doctor and be prescribed betamethasone? I don't have any symptoms like the ones I had when I originally had the balanitis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you need clearer photos please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dude can you answer me?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

Yes. This looks like balanoposthitis which is inflammation of the head and the foreskin. You definitely need to be prescribed betamethasone to treat this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright thank you doctor! And I assume that this can be passed on to a female either orally or intercourse?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

No, this is not a sexually transmitted disease. But you should have it treated before you have sex to prevent yourself from having pain and tearing the skin from the inflammation