Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I was diagnosed with balanitis about 2 months ago. I was…

Customer Question
Hi there,My name is *****...
Hi there,My name is ***** ***** I was diagnosed with balanitis about 2 months ago. I was prescribed clotrimazole to fight it and it did, but it left me with a few side effects. I developed soreness and redness on the head of my penis due to the cream and I became greatly concerned that the balanitis came back, so I contacted a urologist on this site and he informed me that my symptoms were just irritation and that I should use saline solution and hydrocortisone. I've been doing as the doc said and I'm just wondering if I'm healing properly. I just started a new relationship and I'm just wondering if I'm healthy enough for intercourse.Thank you for your time!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Urology
3/4/2016
Urologist: Dr. Y., Urologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist

If it hurts you to have sex, you should wait until the pain stops. To treat this balanitis, your doctor needs to prescribe a topical steroid called betamethasone. It will take 6-8 weeks of this medication to help it go away. Hope this helps

I know the photo aren't the best but from the looks of things, is it just inflammation? My doctor said the balanitis looked fungal and that's why she recommended the clotrimazole. Does anything look serious enough for me to head to a doctor and be prescribed betamethasone? I don't have any symptoms like the ones I had when I originally had the balanitis.
If you need clearer photos please let me know.
Dude can you answer me?

Yes. This looks like balanoposthitis which is inflammation of the head and the foreskin. You definitely need to be prescribed betamethasone to treat this.

Alright thank you doctor! And I assume that this can be passed on to a female either orally or intercourse?

No, this is not a sexually transmitted disease. But you should have it treated before you have sex to prevent yourself from having pain and tearing the skin from the inflammation