Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Having blood come out of penis

Customer Question
Having blood come out of penis
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Urology
2/28/2016
Urologist: Dr. Y., Urologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist

Does it hurt when you urinate? Do you have a history of smoking?

Small sting when I urinate just in the tip. Haven't smoked for 35 years

Blood in the urine can be an indication of a prostate infection, prostate cancer, kidney stones, or tumors of the kidneys, ureters, or bladder. This is why it is important to get in to see a urologist to have a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis done and cystoscopy to rule out the stones and cancerous causes. While the cancerous causes are not likely, they should not be missed and this is why this evaluation is very important. The stoning makes an infection more likely and you should have a urine culture done to evaluate this. Hope this helps and please let me know if you have questions.