How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 18527
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Penis irritation, redness, pressure, burning sensation

Customer Question

Penis irritation, redness, pressure, burning sensation especially when ready to go urinate. Had it for about a month and a weird discharge or weird urine color.its just that burning sensation and irritation that has me worried at this time!!thought it was male thrush.went to my nurse practioner and she gave me flucanozole150 mg,and did nothing for me .hydroxizine hci and did nothing for me.all kinds of antyfungal creAms and nurse practioner just referred me to a urologist.kind of worried.what could it be???
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

There are several infections that can cause such symptoms. It is true that yeast/thrush is a possiblity, but since the fluconazole did not help, that would be less likely at this point.

The primary concern at this point would be a bacterial infection of the urethra, the tube that runs through the penis, or of the prostate.

Infections of the urethra, also called urethritis, can be due to certain sexually transmitted germs, such as chlamydia or gonorrhea, as well as various germs that are not sexually transmitted. Since you are not having a discharge, a gonorrhea infection would be unlikely, but chlamydia can cause an infection with little or no discharge. Obviously, your sexual history would also affect the risk for sexually transmitted germs.

There are a variety of germs that can infect the prostate, and since the infected prostate secretions will exit via the urethra, it can cause symptoms from urethral irritation. A prostate infection is fairly common in men, and would be the most likely infection in someone in a mutually monogamous relationship.

A true urine infection is actually quite rare in men, but can occur, and would be more of a concern if the above causes have been considered and excluded.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

I notice that you posted a separate question about a catheter being inserted. While it is true that it is sometimes necessary to use such a catheter to make a diagnosis, in most cases, the Urologist would be able to determine the cause of these symptoms without needing to use a catheter.