Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have had UTi symptoms on and off for 2 weeks, urine shows…

Customer Question
I have had UTi symptoms...
I have had UTi symptoms on and off for 2 weeks, urine shows traces of blood but does not test positive for uti. I have been on two uti antibiotics and had no effect. My symptoms have recently gotten worse and I feel an urgency to pee all the time but can only pee a little or not at all. I can't get an appointment to see a urologist until April. I don't know what it could be or if I need to get help for it immediately
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Urology
2/27/2016
Urologist: Dr. Y., Urologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist

If you don't have an infection based on a formal urine culture, then these symptoms may be from bladder spasms. If your doctor is only done a urine dipstick in the office, then it is possible on antibiotics you have been on are not appropriate for your bacteria. You need to have a family urine culture sense to identify the bacteria to allow them to prescribe the correct antibiotics. But if you truly don't have an infection, then you may be having bladder spasms. In this case, you may need to be on a medication such as oxybutynin to stop the spasms. They do sell this over the counter and you can try to buy some at your local pharmacy to see if that helps. Hope this helps.