Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I'm a 27 year old female, and I've had pressure in my

Customer Question
Hi there, I'm a 27 year...
Hi there,
I'm a 27 year old female, and I've had pressure in my bladder and pelvis for about a week and a half now. I had a UTI about 3 weeks ago (I finished my antibiotic prescription Monday Feb 8th). However since then, it hasn't felt like the bladder pressure has ceased. The intensity is certainly less, as is the frequency. There isn't pain when I urinate, though there was a dull pain in my abdomen the other day...its mostly just pressure and a sort of fullness and tingling in the bladder, and lower abdomen. Its also present in the perineum.
I did recently have an outbreak of HSV-1 at the beginning of January in the vagina, and I'm wondering if maybe its the virus again, as I know that pelvic pressure is a symptom? I've got an appointment to see my GP tomorrow but I'm just sitting here nervous and panicking that its something awful.
Would really appreciate some insight from a professional.
Thanks so much,
Brynn
PS - I had two urine dip-tests done in the week after my UTI and both came back negative for infection, so I don't think its that I have another UTI...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Urology
2/24/2016
Urologist: Dr. David, MD replied 2 years ago

This is Dr. David

usually pelvic pressure is not really a symptom of herpes virus

excessive anxiety can cause you to have more frequent urination and nervous bladder symptoms.

drinking caffeine or alcohol can irritate the bladder and cause more frequent and urgent urination and mild burning

other issues can cause pain in the pelvis such as ovarian cysts, ovulation, constipation, bowel gas, diarrhea, bowel allergies

it sounds like the antibiotic therapy really helped most of the bladder and urinary symptoms.

let me know if you have other questions.

Hi again Dr. David,Its not really pain so much as pressure. I recently had a transvaginal and pelvic ultrasound which came back totally clear, so I think ovarian cysts are ruled out. Its really just discomfort and the urge to urinate frequently, along with a sort of tingly feeling in the bladder.
I gather there are several instances where women have experienced discomfort after a UTI, even though the infection is gone. Could it still be bacterial?

most likely not bacteria if you have finished a course of antibiotics

you could have overactive bladder muscle spasms which can cause extra pressure

there are medications like hyoscyamine or vescicare which could help relax your bladder muscles and help decrease cramps and spasms of your bladder.

ask your doctor about these medications

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, MD