Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Ive recently had uti (2 weeks ago) and was prescribed

Customer Question

Hi ive recently had uti (2 weeks ago) and was prescribed nitrofurantoin 50mg 4 times a day, they seemed to clear it up but a week after stopping them I now have a sore tingling sensation at the end of urination at the sight of the opening where you urinate from, this is worse in the morning but eases off as day goes on
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: cant see any arrow sorry
JA: The Urologist will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Urologist can help you best.
Customer: what do you need to know
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Urologist should know?
Customer: not really its just those symptoms I am 61
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Urologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Urology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi ive paid the $5 what happens now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will await an email from you.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

Did your doctor actually do a urine culture to identify the bacteria to see if it was sensitive to nitrofurantoin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no she just dipped a stick in and said there was some infection, the reason I had nitrofurantoin is that I cant take Trimethoprim
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

OK. The next step is for you to go back to your doctor to have a formal urine culture done. It sounds to me like you may have a residual infection and you need a urine culture to identify the bacteria. The lab report will then print out which antibiotics are appropriate for this infection. Your doctor can then pick one that you are not allergic to. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.