How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Y. Your Own Question
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 20385
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Y. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 54 year old male, about one year ago I had urinary

Customer Question

I am a 54 year old male, about one year ago I had urinary track pain and had to urinate frequently. I was tested for a bladder infection and did not have one. I was then tested for prostate cancer and did blood tests the specialist came back and said there was nothing work and would go away. It is 9 month later and the pain has became worse and I have blood in my urine. What could this be
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a history of smoking? Did you see a urologist to do cystoscopy and a CT scan to work up the blood in the urine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not smoke I do not know what a cystoscopy and CT scan is. The urologist did blood tests via drawing blood and the test for prostate cancer and took a Urine sample when this first occurred 8 months ago that tested negative for infection. He said all tests were negative and the burning and frequent urination would go away and that there was nothing more that could be done. The pain did go down to about a 2 or 3 out of 10. I stopped drinking alcohol, citric based drinks and salt food such as ham. However in the past couple of weeks the pain has escalated to maybe a 7 to8 so I went to my regular doctor on Friday they took another urine test which revealed the blood in the urine and said it would take 48 hours to see if infection. He is suggesting that I try going to a new Urologist, I have spent a sizable amount of money with my current urologist and hate to start over. The local doctor has prescribed Phenazopyridine 100mg for pain and Ciproflexacin HCL 500 mg awaiting the last test results..
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

Blood in the urine can be an indication of a prostate infection, prostate cancer, kidney stones, or tumors of the kidneys, ureters, or bladder. This is why it is important to get in to see your urologist to have a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis done and cystoscopy (camera test of the bladder) to rule out the stones and cancerous causes. While the cancerous causes are not likely, they should not be missed and this is why this evaluation is very important. Hope this helps and please let me know if you have questions.