Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am scheduled for a congenital bladder divticularectomy on…

Customer Question
I am scheduled for a...
I am scheduled for a congenital bladder divticularectomy on March 7th The urologist says that women rarely have this condition and that he has never performed this procecure on a woman before though he has performed in on men many times, he has 31 yers experience. Should I be concerned as a woman about this? or is the operation basically the same for both sexes?
Also, I could have the surgery 3 weeks earlier but have travel reservations. I have been using a catheter for two weeks now and am now concerned about wearing the catherter for and 3 additional weeks. Does using the catheter for a longer period threaten the function of my urthreal sphincter in any way, or should I not be concerned? I am 70 years old and in good health otherwise.
One more question: now that I am wearing a catherter can I assume that my bladder is fully drained or is there the possbility that stagnant urine still remains contributing to infection?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Urology
2/3/2016
Urologist: Dr. Y., Urologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist

You probably still have stagnant urine in the diverticulum and this is why the surgery needs to be done. The use of the catheter does not horn the sphincter is any way. This operation is the same is men as it is in women so you should have no worries that your surgeon has not done this is women. There is no difference in the procedure. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.