Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I last had sex on 06/08/2014, and last tested negative for…

Customer Question
I last had sex on...
I last had sex on 06/08/2014, and last tested negative for all STDs in November 2015. I had (protected) sex again on 01/08/2016 and received unprotected oral sex from that individual prior to. Then on 01/13/2016 experienced my first STD symptom (painful urination) but disregarded it and had (protected) sex again with a new partner that night with another individual. I went to a local health department STD testing clinic on 01/20/2016 and they said due to the white blood cell count in my clear discharge from my urethra on top of the testicular pain, that they would prescribe me azithromycin. My symptoms went away within five days or so. I now know that it can only be one of these two partners who gave me this infection (my results aren't back yet to know what actually the problem was). Both of my partners say they've been tested since I spoke to them on 01/20/2016 and all results were negative. Is it possible that a blood test can show a false positive for an STI, if the infection is currently only in the hosts throat. Please keep in mind that all individuals in this scenario are male. Partner #2 I am actually seeking a committed relationship with now, and am concerned that I might get another STI immediately after becoming active again (one more week until the clinic told me I would be safe to have protected sex again). Or is it also a possibility that one could also experience testicular pain with clear discharge from the penis, and not have an STI but simply a yeast infection or something else ironically timed that the azithromycin cleared up? Hoping to get my results back tomorrow and hopefully get some more clarity to the situation.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Urology
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/28/2016
Urologist: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Any other medical issues?

No. Currently healthy 26 year old Caucasian male, no known health conditions.

This is all assuming that they are being truthful about being tested.

This is the most common failure I see in my practice.

People lie

It is human nature

I just re-read my question and realized I said "false-positive" but meant false-negative as neither partner had a throat swab, but simply a blood test. As I plan on potentially being with both partners again I might demand to see proof of testing before acting, and want to know the false-negative scenario, in the event both have evidence to ask they then go get a throat swab instead.

Yes, you are correct

The blood test can show a false negative if the infection is in the throat

And you need proof for sure

Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it :)
If you have more questions, just reply

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor